Gladiators

barlowj331

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're reasonably new, sort of expensive-ish, and very "TV".

Actually, they're equivalent in power and features to your Vistas, Hog 3s, Grand MAs etc etc, but their market is traditionally TV so you don't see very many around. Nice consoles, though - worth checking out.

I think they look kind of futuristic, actually. Did a show the other day with Vector PC and the wings - very nice pieces of kit, indeed.

Hi Im Roger Williams one of the 2 moving light programers for Gladiators and the 1335 moving light / LED fixtures.

I haven't seen the show in question but having seen lots of others it does strike me that there seems to be an arms race in progress to have more moving light / LED fixtures than previous shows. Now this is fine for big TV productions where money is no object but the mentality seems to be spreading.

It seems like it is obligatory now for all musicals, dance shows, pantomimes, etc. to have these types of fixtures. Amateur societies are blowing large parts of their production budgets on lighting gizmo's (often to the detriment of general production quality) and then waving them around at every opportunity in the hope of looking "exciting". Of course, if half your audience were watching one of these TV shows (with X thousand movers) just before coming out your half dozen fixtures ain't going impress them much.

It's a pity people can't focus on the quality of the show rather than how many wizzy-dizzy lighting units it has.

Edited to clarify meaning.

It's a pity people can't focus on the quality of the show rather than how many wizzy-dizzy lighting units it has.

There's the rub ... in order for viewers to be able to focus on the quality of a show, there has to be some quality upon which they can focus. Sadly, quality is something of which there is very obviously a severe drought in the land of commisioning editors and production companies at the moment, if the current TV schedules are anything to go by. As I see it, the bottom line is that you can throw as many whizzy new moving lights and LEDs as you can find at the latest flashy new light ent. schedule-filler ... the simple fact of the matter is that the whole show is probably going to be a pile of steaming tat, and you can't polish a turd.

Its a pity these top designers and or programmers cant try going back to basics and put their highly paid skills back into concept lighting design. Look at the original 'Queen' lighting rigs. Ok even then we had blooming wobblys - thankyou Texas!! - but the mighty PAR can rigs were a huge and awesome sight.

Or big ACL displays , 8 lites, strobes - I know it might be a bit Rock and Roll sounding for a clean TV studio, but certainly for Gladiators - masses of PAR cans and ACL's would have looked amazing.

Whats going on with the lighting for "Id do anything!" - the latest entertainment rip-off to save producers and casting agents having to source new talent or churn out the next Big brother celebrity to play the lead!! The lighting is complete overkill I think. Typical for BBC show- too much blue - as usual. - and the "lets just lob in S*** loads of movers and LED gear" scenario.

Or maybe they've done a deal with the hire company so when they have found all the turns - then all the rig from the tv show will be plopped straight into the theatre for the production. Another gig for Roger then!! - or maybe not, caus it wont be TV at that point will it?!

Well maybe they could wheel David Hersey back in for that one - but he will want to bring a truckfull of DLC's with him!!!!

If you read the posts they are only expressing an opinion. Not saying that they could do it any better.

Really?

I feel that it just needs a bit more justification between the different parts as everything seems to look similar through a television

Hmmm.

-w

Hey c'mon guys, Roger was only coming on to offer a few thoughts from behind the scenes and he ends up getting berated.

He has even asked for suggestions for the next series and its gone on to a general p### take, can we not all play nicely????

Well, I think it's obvious where the production company went wrong with this show .... they engaged a top-flight LD, along with respected programmers and some top-flight racks guys, to make it look nice. Clearly what they should've done is taken in a couple of GCSE schoolkids and sat them in front of the console for a play! :P

Really really really unnecessary. And not that witty / funny either.

If you read the posts they are only expressing an opinion. Not saying that they could do it any better.

Thanks for the back up, really dont understand why that kind of response was given for people giving their opinion! :** laughs out loud **:

I agree that movers and LED's are being used to excess at the moment, and it seems that many use them just because their there, not really for any final result to the lighting design.*

Joe

*By saying that, I hope I'm not implying in anyway way like I was last time, that the lighting designers were rubbish and should have been replaced by students? If so, I apoligise greatly if my opinion in some way may have hinted to this. Stupid me.

Roger did not start this thread if you read the first post,the first post was not impressed by the overall show,roger replied and said he was the second best moving light programmer for tv in the uk.

Then lots of people said gladiators and light entertainment shows are overlit if I'm reading correctly.

We are playing fair it's just unfortunate that the big show is getting a kicking.

if we all kept our opinion to ourselves this forum would go nowhere,if we want one opinion which happens to concur to yours then it's not really a forum just a blog for folks with no ideas or thoughts of there own.

Still whatever suits you or makes you happy.

C

Without the complete spec's of the job, you're really not qualified to reply! The LD may have been told what was required, rather than asked for his input.

LD's may design the lighting, but surely they are accountable to the Director, who has their own vision of how things should be. And also the final say.....

It may be the fact that it was out of the LD's hands.

This industry (Lighting) is based around creativity, and what is hated by some, may be loved by others.

Look at it from the audience perspective, not from an industry perspective, how was it for them? Did anyone ask? Has there been any audience feedback? Did they love it or hate it..... I went to a gladiators show in Birmingham in the 90's, and can't even remember the lighting.......

Yes I would agree that Gladiators as a show was poor, but from what I saw of it, it was the testosterone of the gladiators and contestants that were the problem, not the production crew. They did their jobs and seem'd to do it well.

And there was far too much bullsh*t from everyone who opend their mouth on air!

What does concern me though, and nothing really to do with this topic, is how perception of a 'good' job has changed. If you want to see a well choreographed lighting display (with money behind it), then watch Pink Floyd Live in Venice, or Chris De Berg, Live in Dublin.. Both late 80's or early 90's, and both based around the Vari*Lite VL2C....which will be ancient history to a lot of BR members. Yup it was over 20 years ago!

The lighting industry has progressed in leaps and bounds since then, yet the few gigs I've watched on the tv over the last few years may have been set in the dark ages......'cause candles would have probably looked better.

The technology is there to do a better show, but how many are embracing it?

QUOTE (gareth @ 13 May 2008, 12:14 AM)

Well, I think it's obvious where the production company went wrong with this show .... they engaged a top-flight LD, along with respected programmers and some top-flight racks guys, to make it look nice. Clearly what they should've done is taken in a couple of GCSE schoolkids and sat them in front of the console for a play!

Well said, but how do we differenciate between the two.........

Moderation: QUALITY CONTROL

The mods woke up this morning to a huge list of complaints about this topic. I have gone through the entire thread and cannot stat to edit anything as there are far more posts complaining about or supporting other people's polarised comments. We have some posts that are slightly off topic, and some so wide of the mark they seem to not even belong here. Some comments relate to members experience of these types of events or equipment used - rather odd when they are still at school?

From this post onwards - please feel free to contribute IF you have something valid to add. Any other posts will simply be deleted. We do not have time to police petty squabbles and frankly childish material like this !

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes the Blue-Room and it's members look foolish - and must stop!

If you wish to bicker with each other, kindly do it in private - PM each other and spare the general membership, and other random readers via Google, the embarrassment of washing your linen in public.

Any posts in this topic that get deleted will not receive the usual automated courtesy note - they will just vanish and we will not be entering into discussion on why we did it!

Look at it from the audience perspective, not from an industry perspective, how was it for them? Did anyone ask? Has there been any audience feedback? Did they love it or hate it.....
Not directly asked no, but people have certainly voiced their comments about the lighting on the skyone gladiators forum..

'I was totally bored and started surfing after 10 mins. the sets,lighting,equipment,gladiators, everthing is so poor'

'everything in every department was dire the sets,gladiators,lighting'

'after years of watching the orginal glads I was looking forward to this. it was so rushed, poor sets and lighting made it look tacky.'

it seems a lot smaller and less audience and too many blue lights'

'As for the new lighting effects what is that all about. They again just were not needed as all the moving of the lights distracted from the games.'

Now remember, the rest of these people's posts were mainly bashing the quality of the show on the hole (as was most of the topic!), but its interesting that lay-punters have specifically gone and commented about the lighting.. Especially the last comment, its a bit more thought out than just an idle 'slagging' off.

Not my views, just those of others. So apologies for the dodgy SPAG in some.

T

Archived