RCF TT+

fatfrog

Just thought I'd let you all know about my success with the RCF Rig I bought recently.

For those of you who don't know/remember what I got!

2x TTS12 12inch Active Subs

2x TT08a 8inch Active Tops

Anyways, Today I was asked to provide sound reinforcement for a presidential visit by the Irish President Mary McAleese to Glenstal Abbey School. I must say everyone involved was more than impressed with the depth & quality of the sound and compactness of the system

We based the rig as follows,

Sub and Top either side of stage with an SM58 for speech.

We also had to stereo pairs of Rode NT-5's overhead to pick up the school orchestra as well we di'd the Korg Digital piano.

All in all I'm very happy with how it went and more than happy with my system. it never ceases to amaze me!!!

Oh Yeah, I used my new multi core that Rob Beech suggested from Thomann - delighted with that too.

Alan

yeah, it's been great.

To be honest I haven't actually had much band type work for it yet - been using in house pa systems etc.

Although I did use it on a variety show with a band a few weeks back and I was very impressed with the punch off the subs - system wasn't lacking in any way - except maybe the talents vocal projection slightly - not mine or rcf's fault though.

I'm very happy to be able to say I provided pa for a head of state too!!!

have to buy a few di boxes now - needed them badly today - u can never have enough with orchestras and acoustic stuff etc.

Bss ar133's I reckon

Alan

I have AR133s, great boxes!

back on topic, I'm hoping I can demo this same setup soon, I'm just waiting for a suitable gig to test it all with! the band I normally go round with is very clean sounding anyway, so I need to wait for a big dirty rock band to come my way!

Although I have not heard your system Fatfrog, I have heard a TT+12 and ART 15 sub combo.

Cracking tops, I would say the best I have heard from a 12" speaker, but the ART could not match it's clarity.

I was seriously looking into the 18" subs with the 12" tops (both TT+) but the price was a bit high.

Roughly around the 4.5-5k mark.

It's a shame that RCF do not make a 15" version of the TT+ sub, it would bring down the price and make it more managable. ( any comments from Greg, the RCF guy?)

Hats off to RCF though, excellent range!

Just a thought, I wonder if the 12" TT+ would out perform the ART 15" bins?

John Denim.

Would still be nice though to have two small (15") subs cheaper and lighter than the 18".

John Denim.

Cheaper, yes. However the TT 18" subs are very compact for the punch they deliver. I think the weight and size difference between a 15" and an 18" sub would be very minimal.

And from your other thred about more bass, an 18" sub is more likely to do the trouser moving effect that you require.

Rich

Don't get me wrong, the ART subs were better than my current Peavey118xt's.

I would even say that there was more thump.

Is the general rule of thumb that the larger the diameter, the lower the frequency? (comparable cabs)

I would guess also that the built in poweramp and dsp would be tuned to that particular cab, giving it it's distinct sound?

John Denim.

Is the general rule of thumb that the larger the diameter, the lower the frequency? (comparable cabs)

I would guess also that the built in poweramp and dsp would be tuned to that particular cab, giving it it's distinct sound?

Yes thats genrally the rule, a larger driver can move more air and therefor lower frequenceys. The general way I remeber it, and its not technically correct, but it helps me remeber it, is that 15" subs are herd and 18" subs are felt. Obviously you can here and feel both of them but it is more obvious in each size.

And yes thats my main advantage of powerd cabs, is the amps are PERFECTLY matched to the driver being used, in some cases designed to power that specific driver.

Rich

Hi All,

Firstly Alan, glad your happy with the products and thanks for shouting about them. I was out at tha factory last week and I was showing the R & D and Sales the forum website and they couldn't believe the amount of interest and comments that had been made about the products.

John, with regards to the Subwoofer side of things, the main reason for there not being a single 15" subwoofer is that as a company we need to focus on what works best and also the flexability of a product. The ART 705A sub is designed to work with the ART range of speakers that are good but designed to price point. The power handleing of them is limited compared to the TT+ range of products so the single 15" for its size and price works well with it, if you are using the ART's that are at the top of the end of that product family then the 15" does not work so well as a balanced system so, I always advise to customers that they wouold be better off looking at the single 18" from the 4PRO range. The TT+ range is by far the best that RCF have to offer and when you went to hear the speakers they should not have shown them in that way as its not a system.

RCF use a single 18" Subwoofer due to the high power handleing of the Mid/Hi's, if they went to a 15" it would have to be a double 15" subwoofer which would make it heavier than the single. The subwoofer has also been designed to work with the line array and the other products within the range. Everybody has their own preference as to what they want, as a manufacturer we have to decide on products within a range that will generate a return on investment. We are also governed by manufacturing planning and forecasting, which means the products have to given a time slot on the production line, but we also need to run the production in an efficient way, the more products we have the more down time a production line has due to the time taken to swap production from 1 product to another product.

Ultimately this would impact on the end user as the finished product price would be far higher, and then the sales would struggle.

Sorry about the ramblings but there are alot of things that have to be accounted for in the design, planning and manufacturing of a product so these decisions are not made lightly.

If you have any more questions John, then please let me know on here or even directly at greg@rcfaudio.co.uk and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Keep up the good word and thanks once again.

Regards

Greg

My guvnors just bought 16 x TT25SMA wedges ...... used them for the 1st time on Sunday ......... very, very, classy and we were all completely bowled over by them - including the FOH and Monitor engineers, who are world class ( not at liberty to name drop but they regularly work for Macca / Elton ) ............ their size / weight / profile are superb. The client absolutely loved them and so did his band. They bought some line array too - cant wait to fire that up !!!

Archived