Trojan Woman

heinz57

It's major project time again at my college. This year the second years production is Trojan Woman. And aswell as taking a lead role in the play I am also taking up a big role in the technical side. I am designing the lighting and assisting in the rigging, focusing and set construction.

Anyway, we have decided to set it somewere of a costal setting. The director has told me this aft he would like to have some sort of canvas in like a sandy dusty sort of colour to cover the floor, well at least the acting space rather than us be stuck with the black floor.

Does anyone have any ideas for where we can get a canvas from or an alternitive? (Actualy covering the floor in sand was discussed and dismissed)

Unfortinatly I cant give a size of floor (Becuase I dont know it :) ) but any help is much apreciated,

Ta

Heinz

• 2 weeks later...
Canvas? That's a new one. I've painted floors, and when that's not possible, you can also cover the floor with 1/8" masonite, painted and attached to the stage with industrial velcro. The immediate issue I see with canvas is, depending on the floor, it could slip and be a major hazard.

Canvas? That's a new one. I've painted floors, and when that's not possible, you can also cover the floor with 1/8" masonite, painted and attached to the stage with industrial velcro. The immediate issue I see with canvas is, depending on the floor, it could slip and be a major hazard.

Canvas or material of some other sort is widely used as a floor cloth as a solution of not being able to paint the floor or for example for touring productions. It would then be taped completely flat to the floor to stop it being a hazard.

Does anyone have any ideas for where we can get a canvas from or an alternitive? (Actualy covering the floor in sand was discussed and dismissed)

As with all these things it always come do to money, I can give two different ways of finding a floor covering.

1) Russell and chapel are theatrcial material suppliers. They have a website, where you can look at different types of material, you can type in the amount of material you need and the website will calculate the cost. After which it is worth (as with any company) give them a ring tell them your at school and what you are doing, they may be able help you a little more.

If the cost is to much

2) I don't know where your based but in Shepards Bush (London) there are load of textiles shops which will do good deals if you are buying a large amounts of materials. If your not in London, you will find most major cities have a textiles area, check your local yellow papers.

I have used both these methords over the years with great success, with both large and small budgets. With both methords I always ask when buying large amounts of materials...."What deal can you do for me"? Even if its just 10% discount, it can the difference to a budget.

We have just done a production of Trojan Woman (combined with Oedipus, Electra and one of the other tragedies the name of which escapes me.)

We used 1/8" Skim bored painted up to look like a hillside floor. In my opinion it worked very well.

Could be an option if material is to expensive.

Plus side of this is that it can be re-painted for future productions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help guys!

I have discussed these with the director/designer but we have decided to get flat unfitted bed sheets to tape down. It looks quite good aswell

I have discussed these with the director/designer but we have decided to get flat unfitted bed sheets to tape down. It looks quite good aswell
Hmmm...

I trust these sheets have been treated with fire retardent?

I also feel that flimsy material like sheeting may stretch in places when walked on, especially if used a lot. However, I suppose that if the show is only a few nights long you MAY get away with it...

No they havn't. Im sure they will be fine. They are not near any direct heat from the lights and he heat from our fressis doesn't go that far.

With regards to them stretching. The performance is only two nights so we should beable to get away with it. We won't be putting the sheets down until the first night. Becuase they would be in the way for other lessons in the theatre.

Old scrap scene canvas works well, as does most thick material. You can even add humps and bumps and even ramps to add interest, and once painted becomes quite stiff. You can even add texture material to the paint - kind of sandtex stylein areas where traffic is lighter you can even add in much large lumps - great for texture. One year some of my students did this elevating the cloth enough to eventually reach the top height of a bit of steeldeck, with a huge polyfilla'd shell accessed through a hole in the steeldeck top - instant Tempest set!

Archived