Wire up a 'Clip Cop' Piezo?

ferrisio

Hello I fancy wiring up the piezo sounder I have in my toolbox to an XLR shell to use the Clip Cop/'Ranegain' method to detect clipping and try and understand correct gain structure more. Can I just wire it across pins 1&2 or do I need a resistor for protection? Looking forward to experimenting!

For this method, typically you will only run it at line level - so the resistor isn't needed. You will find that running oscillator at 400Hz is a lot more pleasant than 1kHz !

Simon

A good point! Also at what level should I generate the 400Hz test tone? I am thinking of using an oscillator plugin in Cubase and then burning a good few minutes worth to a CD so it is easy to reproduce.

Any other comments on the wiring?

There is a lot of information about the Clip Cop here, and here. The piezo goes across pins 2&3, and the tone needs to be low enough that the driver can't produce the fundamental tone, only the harmonics created by clipping.

Mac

Archived