Wireless Pyro Systems

live

There was a complete wireless system on e-bay recently...

There often are and if it's the ones I'm thinking of then they work using garage door openers. So, just how many of your audience have an opener with the same code as the one connected to your pyro? And don't get me started on using relays to fire pyro.

I own 2 wireless systems - one cheap and Chinese and one expensive American one - would not trust them for anything mission critical or safety critical

S

...So you don't use them for pyro?

never used pyros but the words "wireless" and "pyro" in the same sentence fill me with dread.

there is nothing wrong with wireless pyro systems, per se, so long as they have the correct level of redundency, EDAC, and such like. The issue is with the cheaply made, off the shelf component systems.

As a quick example, Firelinx (a novel method of wireless pyro control) has been over 5 years in the making, and is only now on it's initial rollout in America. That's 5 years of R&D, testing, redesigning, etc... work which has to be paid for... and that is why decent systems are expensive. That and the fact you can ring up the guy who makes them and talk. And be listened to. And have your input acted on. Don't often get that in China...!

Archived