S4 lens barrel. Which one?

MrBoomal

Finally got a budget to expand my source 4 collection with another 8 . However, I am undecided on which lens barrel to purchase. 90 % of the time I would want the 19 degree lens. But, there are a few occasions when the extra width of a 26 would be useful. I already have a load of S4 fit iris shutters, so, I'm wondering should I get the 26's an iris them most of the time, or would I be better of with a proper 19 degree lens, and beg steal or borrow the 26's for the few occasions that I would need them?

Why not get Source Four Zooms instead?

Frazer

Might be chaeper to buy extra barrels and change them as required.

And also the S4 zooms are bigger and chuffing heavier than a fixed beam!!

Not like the Strand SLs which have little size difference between the fixed and zoom versions.

Why not get Source Four Zooms instead?

Frazer

I'd love to. But the budget will most certainly not stretch that far. Confirmed what I was thinking, buy the 19's and then get 26 lens barrels next time I get a budget.

I'm fairly sure that different lenses will fit in your lens barrels. We've got some 19 degree Source fours, and last time we had them down for cleaning I noticed that there are slots in the lens tube for different lenses. I know its a bit of extra hassle taking your lens tubes to bits, but the parts should be cheaper.

I think you are accurate in that the barrels are made from a single mould (at least the 19/26/36/50 are). But the time required to take the barrel apart, remove the lenses and install other lenses would make a changeover a quite expensive operation. Much more practical to purchase additional barrels.

also much less likelihood of the lenses suffering damage if they are "protected" in their barrel rather than stored loose.

just remember to make it clear to lighting designers that when your tech spec sheet says "x number 26 degree lens tubes", it does not mean "x number extra profiles to add to your already far too big to focus in the time available" rig......

Finally got a budget to expand my source 4 collection with another 8 . However, I am undecided on which lens barrel to purchase. 90 % of the time I would want the 19 degree lens. But, there are a few occasions when the extra width of a 26 would be useful. I already have a load of S4 fit iris shutters, so, I'm wondering should I get the 26's an iris them most of the time, or would I be better of with a proper 19 degree lens, and beg steal or borrow the 26's for the few occasions that I would need them?

Don't forget that a 26 degree lens in conjunction with an iris will put out less light than a 19 degree lens without one. As soon as you start using an iris to decrease the beam size you are cutting off some of it's light, whereas using a smaller lens focuses all of the light onto a smaller area. Something to bear in mind if you are trying to match beam sizes and outputs on a stage during focussing.

Don't forget that a 26 degree lens in conjunction with an iris will put out less light than a 19 degree lens without one. As soon as you start using an iris to decrease the beam size you are cutting off some of it's light, whereas using a smaller lens focuses all of the light onto a smaller area. Something to bear in mind if you are trying to match beam sizes and outputs on a stage during focussing.

That was my main concern. Thanks for all the advice, have today ordered 8 x S4 19 degrees.

Archived