PAR can gobos????/ - birdies

weatherhead

following a topic that was discussed a few days ago which I can no longer find, I had a slip and talked about gobos in front of a PAR can, which was quickly met with (perfectly reasonable) cries of "what? gobos in a PAR can??". I corrected myself and said I'd meant PC lanterns, which was in fact the case.

However, today I came accross this:

http://www.terralec.co.uk/par_cans/gobo_ho...16/17176_p.html

What exactly is this for? Surely it can't be for using gobos in the conventional sense....

anyone who has come across one "in the wild", I'd be interested to know if and how it works

EDIT: terminology correction.

Not ever used one but, from the picture it would appear to be a gobo holder on the front of the par and then a focussing lens in front of that. Quite a neat idea. Only fits par 16's which is quite understandable, as a decent lens that would fit a par 64 would cost thousands.

Please - let's not start this again. The snag with the old post is that there is no such thing as a PC can. PCs have a reflector, a lamp and a PC lens - they are not in a can. The only can we have in current use is a PAR - simple as that.

The thing you are talking about is a crafty way of producing a fixture that does work with a gobo. It's a reflector source, the MR16 lamp, then a gobo, then a pc lens on the front - so it has the same optic as a profile. The only important feature of any fixture that takes a gobo is that there must be a focal plane in the beam path - this is where gobos get placed. Fresnels, and the similar optical path PCs don't have this feature. The compact filament in the MR16 or similar makes gobo projection possible - mainly because of the small filament in combination with a decent reflector, coupled with the extra lens.

What exactly is this for? Surely it can't be for using gobos in the conventional sense....

anyone who has come across one "in the wild", I'd be interested to know if and how it works

I have seen things like this to project images in children's bedrooms or in a retail setting where a manufacturer wants their logo on a wall, and there is no place to put a standard ellipsoidal.

With this item, you need to consider the lamp: it's an MR16, which has a much more pin-spot source (read: open to the lamp) than a standard PAR; and at that close range, and coupled with a lens, the only problem is that (the way the product shot has it set up) the city will project upside down.

-w

thanks for the replies people,

will remember these exist in the future if the use case ever comes up....

@paulears: thanks for erasing my mishap!! Truth to tell back when I did my "gobo in front of PC with gaffa tape and spacers" thing I didn't really know what I was doing properly, was just doing what I was told. Anyway, glad it's all put to bed now, and I'm sorry if it looked like I was starting it again.

Please - let's not start this again. The snag with the old post is that there is no such thing as a PC can. PCs have a reflector, a lamp and a PC lens - they are not in a can. The only can we have in current use is a PAR - simple as that.

The thing you are talking about is a crafty way of producing a fixture that does work with a gobo. It's a reflector source, the MR16 lamp, then a gobo, then a pc lens on the front - so it has the same optic as a profile. The only important feature of any fixture that takes a gobo is that there must be a focal plane in the beam path - this is where gobos get placed. Fresnels, and the similar optical path PCs don't have this feature. The compact filament in the MR16 or similar makes gobo projection possible - mainly because of the small filament in combination with a decent reflector, coupled with the extra lens.

Hear! Hear!!..............Lets move on :)

but I find that if you just focus the lamp rather than a gobo,

im sure par16 lamps cant be focused?

They can but what you get is the reflector as most MR16's or GU10 240v lamps have a reflector either made up of a square pebble effect or a line effect. An example below:

http://www.residential-landscape-lighting-...images/sl37.jpg

When you focus the lamp, you are really focusing the reflector which gives off the effect.

yeh I used a load of these on a show few years ago, they fit on par 16 cans and the two lens' allow you to focus the gobo, is quite q clever idea.....nothing to stop a bigger version of this being created for 64's etc...

Stuart

Archived