DMX/Ethernet

kurzweil_dude

You can replace the XLR's if you want to, but you'll notice that (well all the DMX connectors I've seen) all DMX connectors are XLR, and you will have a 'physical' compatibility problem should you have to bring in an outside replacement kit.

If you make it RS422 you'll also have compatibility problems.. maybe safer to stick to an established standard !

:)

You Might find this an interesting read: http://www.alia.com.au/features/DMX.pdf

A few years back I was running in new DMX feeds around my venue and came across the above... I actual ran out off DMX cable I decided to take a risk and install one line with CAT5 and run DMX down it (It was only being used for our riggers remote).

Four years later and I've never had a fault on that line, it has also become extremely useful now that I have been using arkaos with and needed to send ARTnet to the stage..... I only wish I used CAT5 all over the place.

I think eventually it will become best practice to use CAT5 cable in infrastructure with insulations as it is flexible and provides some future proving

There is now an ESTA Industry Standard for this kind of control.

It's called "Architecture for Control Networks" (ACN), and it's extremely powerful, but rather complicated.

So a subset of ACN has also been developed that's easy to implement and designed for pure DMX-over-Ethernet transmission.

It's called "Streaming ACN" (sACN).

This is relatively easy to develop for, and already has many commercial implementations:

ETC Congo and Eos/Ion lines of consoles, ETC Net3 DMX Gateways, Capture 2005, Pathway Connectivity nodes and several others.

sACN is much more scaleable than ArtNet and many other proprietary protocols, and also behaves much better with modern IP network hardware.

Archived