Chamsys MagicQ Help

fatfrog

Have a gig on friday evening - And I'm in serious trouble regarding programming time. Usually use a pearl as its usually whats available to me but have to use Chamsys magicQ.

Now I've used MagicQ Pc before and have found it great. But I just need a bit of advice regarding programming, I've got no issues regarding patching etc. it's just creating my design.

I have successfully recorded several of the built in fx onto a cue stack but am having trouble assigning this cue stack to a playback. Any advice. Also is there any facility where I can just move my mouse and the selected mover will follow as the lights are on the ground its quite difficult to use the inbuilt fx for movement anyways.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Plus I'm also doing sound so I need to make my program very easy to modify

Alan

You've used one before so that's good. you say you've recorded some odds and ends, but want to put them on a fader? The usual way with these and things like hogs is just program using the programmer, then record that into a cue linked to the fader by hitting rec then select on the fade you wish it to come up on. If you do something else and then when recording select a fader with something already on it, the new state is recorded as the next cue on that stack in the playlist. If you modify things you can use update to merge or replace what's already there. I assume you're prgramming chases or mover sweeps, stuff like that? Just make it happen, bung it on a fader - with a title. Tell us what it is that is causing you bother. If you are recording stuff just as items to be put in a fader cue list later, that's a bit longwinded. I assume you've made groups and pallettes for ease of access. Without an external fader panel you need to be multi-handed. How can you mix sound and operate lights properly. touchpads and mice are not ideal for quick access. Magic Q pc is so much better with a touch screen and/or real panel.

Perhams you can let us have some more info on what you're having trouble with. Doing a hectic gig running lx and sound on an unfamiliar desk seems a bit silly to me?

Yeah, Well thats life - I can usually manage sound and light with the pearl, it's not a very complicated sound mix anyways, drums,2vox and 1 bass amp and 1 guitar so that'll be find - plus it's only teenage bands.

I suppose I could always use Freestyler to get the lights to do interesting things themselves...What you reckon? - mite save time in the long run!

Otherwise, I found out that I have a Strand 300 available or god forbid the venues GSX!!!

Should I just run with freestyler. all the movers are really there for is eye candy for the audience.

Unless there is another way of programming which I don't know about (entirely feasible), when you record a cue or sequence of cues to create a stack they are assigned to a playback by default. You setup the look you want for the cue, select Record and then hit the select key over the playback you wish it to be assigned to, much like you would if you were using a Pearl. To create a stack just keep adding cues to the same playback.

If you want to move the cue or stack to another playback open the Playback window, select Move, click on the playback which holds the cue or stack you want to move then click on the playback you want to move it to. You can also trigger other playbacks from a cue by using the Macro field in the cue window but can't remember off the top of my head what the command is though it's certainly detailed in the manual.

Also is there any facility where I can just move my mouse and the selected mover will follow

Mouse control of movers is only available if you have Magic Q PC connected to one of their wings or interfaces, as was pointed out when I asked this question they have to leave somethings out else there is no incentive to purchase their products and as the software is free it's hard to complain!

as the lights are on the ground its quite difficult to use the inbuilt fx for movement anyways.

Curious to know what your finding difficult about assigning FX to movement regardless of where the fixtures are located.

Sounds easy enough then, I've been given some extra time luckily - gig has been postponed to wednesday week and I should have a physical desk for that - probably a pearl azure - it's not that I don't like Magicq - I've used it a few months back for some led gear and it worked great...I wouldn't mind one of their consoles.

Thanks for all your help!

Alan

Archived