wireing up a costume.

Spider_senses

The constant current cct is one resistor and one voltage regulator, use one for each of several series strings then parallel them. Dont skimp on power as the leds are competing for attention with some kW of light AA C or D cells can hide in a jacket pocket or lithium rechargeables are so thin you can just hide them in the lining. Above all build for reliability. Its only a 5 min bit but if it fails.....

Two batteries and some lights on each?

I know this is going to sound really really stupid :o , but do they absolutely have to run from batteries or could they have a small peice of wire running from them to the wings or whatever. is it just a walk on walk off piece or for dancers or something?

Tom

Hi,

Without knowing the show at all (keep meaning to see it somewhere) I'll try another probably inappropropriate suggestion: could you use a sequined jacket and a followspot?

Cheers,

Ed

I'm quoting myself again.

{Ok to review, and make sure I get it straight.

I am going to wire two 9v batteries together to get 18v.

I have 20mA super bright LEDs with a forward voltage of 3.5. 5 of the LEDs in series is a drop in voltage of 17.5. Leaving me with .5 over. .5v/.02A results in a 25ohms resister.

I can then wire three more sets of (5LEDs in series) to the same set of batteries?

giving me a total of 20 LEDs on two 9v batteries?}

Will this work? Yes or No!

If not how do I take this system and make it work?

CATs is one of those big Mega Musicals, no dialoge all music and all dance. The character is "Magical Mr. Mistopholease" In the magic that is theatre there will be a loud bang, a flash of light and in the momentary black-out Mistopholease appears on a rope from below but all we see is his outline in lights (my costume lights) then the follow spot and the rest of his costume sparkles because of sequins.

Magic! or Cheese?

I saw a technician once doing something like that with foil pads on the floor.

all the character did was walk on and then walk off, and stand on a single spot, so its probably not very suitable...

but we had a 12 bulb connected to a 'light bulb' on his head, like an idea light.

there were speaker wire going down then splitting, with one into each trouser leg, then into his shoes. we used little plug things to disconnect before removing costume...

there were foil on his shoes (underside) and foil pads on the floor marked out... the stage was a bit higher than the audience (school hall) so they didn't notice the pads, plus it was part of a rolling set.

he would stand on the pads, so we could control the light through a LV switch to a standard 12v transformer... worked really well for the application as long as you don't need it on when moving...

The constant current cct is one resistor and one voltage regulator, use one for each of several series strings then parallel them.

Yup pretty handy device the LM 317

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM317.html

Cant remember off hand voltage drop over device itself but you need more in than you get out.

Two batteries and some lights on each?

Not with white/blue/true green LEDs, forward voltage, amount they NEED to lite up is around 3.5V, AAA/AA/C/D cells are all 1.5V, 12 in rechargeables. not enough for 2 in series to lite up LED.

White LED torches use either 3 cells or a boost inverter.

Will this work? Yes or No!

Yes

Magic! or Cheese?

Should be a good look

Archived