Gooseneck lectern mic recommendations

mrg198

Hi,

I've had a quick search but the info I found was a couple of years back (2005 mostly) so kit may have changed.

Basically we're looking to get a lectern mic to use for temp events on a range of lecterns (we have one style we make ourselves or else use one supplied by the venue we happen to be in at the time).

We have used C747s before and found them to be ok althoguh I don't believe it's a current model.

I have looked at the prices for CK47 systems but find the pricing of the capsules very varialble - some are about £20 and others (like the CK47 cap) are more like £120?!?

Like the idea of a modular system in so far as being able to adjust the length of the gooseneck to suit the lectern being used and also mounting style. In our own lecterns we could fit a rubber shock mount to minimise knock noise but need to cope with temp mounting on other lecterns.

Have also looked at the AT modular 857 mic but it looks a bit long (487mm) and if I mounted it on a table mount on a lectern it would stick up quite high and be up nostrils I think!

Does anyone have suggestions of suitable good quality (but not more than £200-250 +VAT if possible please) gooseneck mics that would be flexible (in configuration) to suit our varied applications?

Many thanks,

Michael

My personal preference is for Shure MX412's with the HyperCadioid capsule. I find that with lectern clamps or small bases I can make them fit any lectern and still be unobtrusive enough for I-mag/broadcast. Another option is the AKG blue line; SE300 + CK93's etc, although on the face of it more flexible, the rigid gooseneck makes it less adaptable to different lecterns. Another alternative is the AudioTechnica AT935 which comes in a couple of variations.

I just picked up one from CPC's bargain bin, for a tenner :)

Built like a brick outhouse & looks fabulous - Don't know what it sounds like yet, but the gooseneck & base are worth more than I paid.

Pete

A couple of years ago I had to provide a lectern setup for a big event where an ex-Archbishop of Canterbury was giving the address. I didn't have any lectern or gooseneck mics and thought an SM58 wouldn't be quite the ticket.

I'd used AKG C747s before and not found them brilliant - very tight hypercardioid pickup (easy for the speaker to go off-mic), with curious lobes - and didn't get the freedom from feedback I was expecting (even with decent speakers and careful eq). I wasn't going to lash out £200 on one of them.

I bought a JTS gooseneck mic in the end and it worked like a charm. Relatively inexpensive (from Blue Aran or similar), cardioid pickup and a very natural sound. Have used it many times since. I think they do weighted bases and so forth for them, as well as different lengths. I keep it clean and safe inside a length of 25mm PVC conduit - the XLR-end wedges snugly inside the tube.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/petealcock/GooseneckMic1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/petealcock/Gooseneckmic2.jpg

Pete.

I will add another vote for the JTS Gooseneck already mentioned. We tried this as an alternative to a C747 at the lectern at church and Gain Before Feedback seems to be much improved, and appears to require less EQ. Definitely worth the money. Purchased from CPC I believe.

Neil

Do you have a part number?

Yuss

The damn thing's in April's Focus.............

And they've dropped the price even Further :rolleyes:

MP3367627

Doesn't sound at all bad: Plenty good enough for talkback

Pete

As you say, Bruce.

Funny thing - when I chopped off the mono jack to fit an XLR for the desk input, I found it has a red, white & braid; so "Ha - It's balanced" thinks I: But no, it hums like a month-old sock when I touch the casing, so it's back to bridging 1 & 3 :rolleyes:

Any idea why it would have 2 conductors?

Pete

BTW, Thanks for the Celtic Music Radio link - Keeps me semi-sane while I'm making-up Speakon leads :D

AFAIK the C-747 is still current although AKG do like modifying part numbers for no good reason, good mic but very susceptible to induced noise from mains and annoyingly mobile phones. If I had a £1 for every time a delegate swears that his phone is off when he means he's put it on silent...

Anyhow if I spec the lectern mic I always go for Shure MX412/418 (12" or 18" gooseneck) with a R185 capsule which is cardoid so has a wider pickup angle. They are slightly more obtrusive (for TV work) than the 747's but the sound as good with less problems although if you get a mic tapper (stand up Sir Bobby Robson) they are a bit of a disaster!

Archived