Drum Screens

Gazlights

Hello Ppl!

Just wondered what drum screen you have? I'm looking to purchase a drum screen but beig a moving light operator at heart its not eally my forte....

I guess we need six panels at 5.5 - 6 ft....

Would anyone be able to offer me some advice on a reputable supplier? are there things I need to consider when buying? what screen do you have?

I guess I could make it myself really its only 6 Perspex panels eh?

thanks!

Hello Ppl!

Just wondered what drum screen you have? I'm looking to purchase a drum screen but beig a moving light operator at heart its not eally my forte....

I guess we need six panels at 5.5 - 6 ft....

Would anyone be able to offer me some advice on a reputable supplier? are there things I need to consider when buying? what screen do you have?

I guess I could make it myself really its only 6 Perspex panels eh?

thanks!

Hi,

I have used drum (and amp) shields before and one thing that always sticks in my mind is that the shield does not really absorb any sound it just defects it so I find it handy to put some panels behind the shields to absorb the reflected sound or it will just bounce around and escape somewhere. (This is assuming that there is a wall or other boundary behind the shield and not an open space)

Sorry I can’t be of any more help

I bought my 'Clearsonic' tall 5-piece screen from the UK distributors.

If you go to the Clearsonic.com website and click on their Contacts (international dealers) link, then the page I've just linked to will give you exactly what it says on the tin.

They do need care though, so remember to factor that in if you're going to be transporting it around.

Si

Acrylic/Perspex is fine but as said it reflects sound back.

We had similar problem in places of worship with enthusistic drummers solutions: electronic drums OR screen + panel(s) with sound absorbing material used for silencing generators/motors etc.

On behalf of all drummers:

PLEASE don't do it!

It ruins the drummers chance of hearing any backline, or the rest of the band (making comments during rehearsals really awkward).

It makes the drummer feel separated and boxed in, you can't hear the audience reacting, you often can't see much as the screens tend to go all reflective in show lighting.

It makes setting up and adjusting awkward as you can't get to the rear (front) of the kit.

It makes my drum kit look stupid.

Finally, and most importantly: It hides my pretty face from adoring females :P

If after my protestations you still feel you really must then make sure you get plenty of absorbent material behind the drum kit, not a brick wall or similar.

Without absorbers the sound just reflects back, deafening the drummer, making it impossible to hear any monitor mix, and making even decent drums sound chronic.

Because of the reflections I can't use a wedge behind a screen, necessitating in-ears, which only adds to the exclusion effect.

:) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I think my feelings towards drum screens are now perfectly clear...

They have been for a long time Jon.

Each to their own, I work with a drummer who's fine with it, and others who've asked to be behind one.

Absorption is always going to help in this situation, as many have mentioned.. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I can cope with them.

But if you put one round my drum kit you won't get a pint at the end of the night :)

In the same way that if you smash your kit to bits in a tiny village hall all night you won't get one from me.

I'd rather not use them, I think everyone will happily say the same thing, one less thing to carry. With a decent drummer (which I'm sure you are) you adapt to the room and play as loud or as quiet as you need to, still using the necessary dynamics within your playing. There are of course times where this does become impossible and a screen becomes one of the options. I'd certainly look at alot of options before it.

All this aside, I think Bruce makes a valid comment.

Archived