The BRIT school

Hey,

ive just been accepted to do the technical theatre course at the BRIT school. It is a BTEC and the only feedback ive heard is the stuff in the prospectus!Can you guys give me anyw help on how good it is what the facilities are like etc? I have had a quick walk around the site and it looks quite good but just wanted some other peoples points of view!

any help on this matter would be brilliant!!

thanx

oli

The BRIT School website gives you all the details on the course, however I expect you're looking for anacdotal evidence.

On this page it lists some of the tech specs, which sound quite good. It looks like it will concentrate slightly more on the sound side of the industry rather than lighting, but I guess you'd expect that.

The Brit School is just round the corner from my house.

Andrew the technical chappie there is a nice guy - lends me things quite frequently. Can't comment on the course, but I'm sure it's good. If I recall correctly, they have an ADB Phoenix lx desk (someone has to...) and a 430 that may well be on permanent loan to my good self. Lots of S4s and things. Dunno about sound, but looks pretty spanky.

they have got a pheonix I saw it when I was there!seemed alrite but neva used one!have u got the 430 cos if so I want it!!!** laughs out loud **!

thanx guys keep it comin!

In my capacity as a project manager at fourth phase, I come into contact with the BRIT school frequently. I visited the Brit School recently, and was very impressed with the technical facilities it offered, we as a technical supplier have strong links with them, and I personally think they are on the right track as they have quite a broad range of facilities on offer. Good Luck

• 3 years later...

Im on the course now, year 12, my first year here now, they got some well good equipment, like they said the ADB desk, and if I'm right I think we have just got the strand back aswell, Got loads of lights, including 4 movers and lots of generics. Got a wysiwyg system.

Sound wise got a Yamaha DM2000, and D&B C7 Speakers, cant wait to start tech-ing on shows soon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went to the brit school, graduated a couple years ago(was in the same year as oli, original poster), is fantastic place, is a great course, right internally assesment units is basically course work, but you can get away with doing very little course work and allot more practical there. You are very much treated like a worker not a student when there, (not entirely(sp?) but enough a good mix, by no means is it more sound based, or more lighting or stage management, It is whatever you make it. Equipment wise yes in my time was more sound based, but not bad on the lx front. The tech spec isnt 100% up to date. Tutors are fantastic, as I said above you are treated like your working. And work does come out of it, I know from my year one guys on phantom, I freelanced for a year or so in music/theatre/coporate, then worked a holiday park, then a cruise ship and now going back to a holiday park in a week or so. And bryson its you with the 430! git, I personally didnt get on with the phoenix, worked out for the better though could hire desks in, budget depending.

hope this has helped a bit, though probably not, feel free to pm me if you got any questions

toby

Archived