radio mics's working on d band

avdavesound

hi everyone, I after getting my hands on a few sennheiser ew500g2 but they work on D-Band

786.000-822.000MHz. will they be ok to use in ireland and the uk? any pitfalls using those frequencys? will I need a licence to use them? anything else I need to know?

thanks

No but it's still not legal. We've all done 75 on the motorway, we've all answered our phones whilst trying to find a place to pull up and stop. We've all sold class A drugs to stu......oh no wait.... It doesn't make it legal though.

And as Boswell points out, after the DSO, you're likely to find that you can't actually use them once the new spectrum is pumped full of digital loveliness, regardless of legalities. If you must buy some, get band E.

Ok, I see your point - I know its not legal and shouldn't be done.

As regards the digital switchover in ireland - the only digital Tv service being provided here is by sky digital and upc. it'll be at least another 3-4 years before we get digital infrastructure to the stage where we can switch off analogue.

Ok, I see your point - I know its not legal and shouldn't be done.

As regards the digital switchover in ireland - the only digital Tv service being provided here is by sky digital and upc. it'll be at least another 3-4 years before we get digital infrastructure to the stage where we can switch off analogue.

well the deal I'm getting on 20 of them is hard to pass up and I can always put them on ebay germany!

I think there was a post a few weeks ago about changing the freq band on a sennheiser. I can't find the post now. can anybody remember it?

If the deal is THAT good, I second the advice to watch out. There are a LOT of cheap and nasty counterfeits around these days.

As for using band D in the UK and Ireland, it is NOT legal without a relatively expensive licence...and you need a new licence for every new location you go to. This could rather quickly eat into the perceived savings on the mics.

Beyond that, you are venturing into frequencies used for TV broadcasting. Even if you are considering illegal operation--and I strongly advise you don't--you will also encounter interference from television transmitters in a good many locations. The flux density coming off a 500 kilowatt TV transmitter will completely swamp your 30mW radio mic...and, if you turn on and interrupt Aunt Zelda's watching of Corrie your chances of being caught have just gone up hugely!

Both because of frequency issues and because "if a deal looks too good to be true it probably is", I personally wouldn't touch them.

Bob

Only a direct contact with both the seller and the maker can assure you that these can be used on a frequency that will be lawfully available for long.

Sennheisser will tell you how to determine a fake, and whether they can be cheaply rebanded. For 20 it may be worth the effort.

Caveat Emptor

If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

OK another view from me!

If they are genuine, buy them and export them to a place where their native frequency is lawfully useable, then buy some new mics compatible with your locale.

thats what I was thinking of doing. there genuine I know there history.

Hmm - Its interesting to see that they made it to ireland(well I presume they're in ireland) considering their D band - I assume they were bought from the likes of Thomann. If there genuine there well worth the effort!

I'm looking into buying an 8 way radio system at the moment myself - I'm hiring them in about once a month so its really not worth hiring them all the time! - Was using one of those mipro systems last week - was very impressed with both build and audio quality - They had beyerdynamic headsets though!

What bands are legal in ireland and preferably which ones don't require a license!!!

Archived