CPC Par Lamps

SceneMaster

How come CPC sell there par 38,56 and 64 lamps for £25 (no vat) when most places you can get a P56 for only £11 - £16 and P64 for £21 (inc vat) and the P38 at this price makes no sense!! (inc vat) Can someone explain? :rolleyes: I have read the prices right, but maybe I have found the wrong par lamps on their site and there are other par lamps for a cheaper price from CPC? If not are there some cheap places to get P56 lamps (lower tha £13 inc vat as this is the current price I pay) :(

Because they are a business, and are there to make money, and if people continue to pay the prices, they'll continue to charge that amount!

Simple really :rolleyes:

(You might also be able to get 5+ or 10+ discount / barter on price)

Stu

Guest lightnix
How come CPC sell there...
If you have a question about their pricing policy, wouldn't the best people to ask be, er... CPC, rather than the Blue Room ?

There could be a number of reasons. Maybe CPC are a smaller company who don't have the buying power to get lower prices; they might have higher overheads than your supplier, maybe they pay their staff more, or they may simply be selling lamps of higher quality than the ones that you are buying.

I remember being seduced (not literally, obviously) by a cheap lamp deal once. Only once, mind you as they simply didn't last; I remember that the crappy ceramics were a particular source of grief and we never went to that supplier again, because at the end of the day we hadn't actually saved any money. Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it's good value. Buying the cheapest in order to "save money" can often work out more expensive in the long run.

For example, I used to buy cheap black bomber jackets from the local market at £25 a throw and would get through one or two a year. Then, in 1999 I invested in a pukka Peter Storm number from Milletts, price: an "hugely expensive" £65. I've worn it virtually every day since then, casually at home, on holiday and at work, including some very demanding outdoor gigs. It looks almost as good now as it did when I bought it nearly five years ago. Not a single stitch has dropped, the cuffs are still unfrayed and the pockets have developed no holes. By spending the extra £40, I have probably saved myself something close to £400 in the long run.

I'm sorry, Scenemaster, but I don't quite see the point of your post, other than to kick a supplier who's only trying to eke out a living like the rest of us. Please let me know if I'm missing something here.

I noticed that as well - CPC are a pretty big supplier - I'm pretty sure it was just a misprint/miscode in the website. thye'll notice sooner or later...

Why should they? In any area of life there will be difference in price for the same product. As others have said, the only thing that sets a product's price is the price people will pay for it.

In the real world it's generally reckoned that to raise and process a purchase order will cost a company around £100. So shopping around to save a few quid might not make sense if you end up buying from say 4 suppliers when you could get it all from one.

I've just looked in their 2002 printed catalogue when the 38/56/64 were priced at £6.26/£20.02/£48.80.

they do a deal of 10 Par56 bulbs for under £90! thats about £9 per bulb

What make are they tho? I've always found GE Lighting Par lamps to be the best, and Slyvania ones to be horrible.

And with the greatest respect, how many theatres out there own Par 56s? Can't be many I'd imagine.

Stu

Used to work for a company that got pretty reasonable discounts on lamps, at the time an architectural lamp, 12V 50W MR16 retailed at £5.84 +VAT. Our biggest customers would get 25% off that price.

Still able to make a profit on it as they were purchased at 0.80 p +VAT, these were major brand lamps, to get discounts like this getting lamps by the 40 ft container load on at least a monthly basis is required.

Point being that shopping around for lamps makes sense, even major brands make some crap lamps, GE `38s for instance are rubbish. Lamp market is so huge that counterfeit major brands is now a problem.

CPC are part of the huge Premier Farnell concern, try and get a relationship with a good local supplier who will factor in a long term relationship into the pricing they wil offer. If they don`t play ball , mail order.

The original poster is looking for a good price on 56s.

Please if you are going to quote a price you can get, provide the details so that we can all share, quoting a low price that only `you` can obtain, helps no one.

And with the greatest respect, how many theatres out there own Par 56s? Can't be many I'd imagine.

Stu

Not theatres but rock and concert lighting use them for fast flashing of lights which do not need the power of the P64. They are used for lighting trussing which would look over lit with the 1000watts of a p64 in some situations. (not all as I only work with small scale events at school anf in local stages the p64 are too powerfull for lighting facing the audience so we use p56s instead but I imagine that big concerts use p64s. Although we use p64s for lighting onto the stage.)

Guest lightnix
Not theatres but rock and concert lighting use them for fast flashing of lights which do not need the power of the P64.
That's what I like about the Blue Room: you learn something new every day.

I took the bold step of 'phoning CPC to check out the price and it is correct - £25.48 +VAT per lamp, with a standard delivery charge of £4.99 +VAT for non account holders. Orders over £30 from account holders are delivered free. The lamps are manufactured by GE.

Please if you are going to quote a price you can get, provide the details so that we can all share, quoting a low price that only `you` can obtain, helps no one.
Yeh, what Mush said.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an error. Page 1470 of the 2004 catalogue has the offending items listed as:

PAR36 (AR70827) £6.48 (1+), £5.96 (5+),

PAR56 (LP00123) £10.18 (1+) £9.42 (5+),

PAR64 (LP00124) £25.48 (1+) £23.54 (5+),

(All exc VAT)

Paul F. :(

CPC do loads of things at great prices - other things are very expensive. If you only use one supplier this is a problem, but most shop around (like my wife does!)

CPC PAR64 cans are quite cheap, considering the PARsafe fitted. Never buy mics from them as they are very expensive. Remember that as they are so big, they rarely know what the things they sell actually are. They just source product. If you look at the Canford Audio Blue Book, you'll find they are dreadfully expensive on virtually everything, but they have loads of useful stuff, and are very popular. If you want it, buy it. I do think it unfair to 'slag off' someone just because they charge more than someone else - it is a free market, and you don't have to buy from them.

Archived