Looking for cheaper B&B/self catering - London area

Vanjast

Hi all,

Can anybody help (link) me with some cheaper/nice B&B or self catering places in the London area.

I'll be in the UK from around the 4th - 19 July 2008.

I've had a look at a gazillion websites, but local knowledge is usually better.

Thanks

Van

Are you working while you are over here? If so whereabouts in London are you working, and will you be relying on public transport to get around town? (It can take 2 hours to get from one side of London to the other - so being in the right area of town helps)

I'll be visiting various lighting houses and studios, chatting to the technical staff with the idea of setting myself up as a freelance technician.

So workwise I'll have no idea where it'll be yet, but have been advised that I should look, within the M25 circle, from the South West going round West to North side of London.

I think I'll have to pick a few places and choose them as necessity requires. Will be using public transport at the moment.

I'll be visiting various lighting houses and studios, chatting to the technical staff with the idea of setting myself up as a freelance technician.

So workwise I'll have no idea where it'll be yet, but have been advised that I should look, within the M25 circle, from the South West going round West to North side of London.

I think I'll have to pick a few places and choose them as necessity requires. Will be using public transport at the moment.

Umm "inside the m25" is a huuuge area. Being a little more specific would probably help. If you're looking for theatre-land then you want to be in the centre of town.

Guest lightnix

You could do worse than try a YMCA. There's a pretty good one in Wimbledon (I used to live there as a student). IIRC Bed & (continental) breakfast rates are £35 per night, contact details here.

Wimbledon is in SW London, at the end of the Distric Line (Underground) and overground lines to Waterloo - right in the centre of town; journey time is around 30 minutes.

Hope that helps and that you have a successful visit :)

Thanks all...

mbthrgreat: I think it going to be something like lightnix says. It'll be cheaper at the 'end of the line', and running into the centre or other destinations from there. I'll get a weekly or fortnightly pass and 'scream' around town :stagecrew:

Van

First rule of London is buy an A to Z.

That sector of London includes almost all the places that even rock stars can't afford Richmond Hill Chelsea etc and some realistic areas.

Get something booked then go flat hunting when you arrive. BUT some landlords want references, from past landlords.

Look outside a station for free papers (metro, and Lite?) and for free magazines aimed at visiting nationalities. If you are from SA the the SA mags might have some SA orientated flatshares.

Consider carefully where you plant yourself as journey times across London are horrific. If you have to get home by night bus then check that you can get both to and from work adequately. Nightbus routes are different from day bus routes.

It will probably be cheaper to get an Oyster card to put them on. Again the TFL site will explain all.

That's the one I was thinking of.. :stagecrew:

Thanks jivemaster.. yes I've experienced that before, but a good reminder :)

Archived