Preset focuses on a Pearl 2000

Tom Baldwin

Arrgh!

I've been through the manual step by step, several times, and I can't seem to edit preset focuses on the Pearl successfully,

I seem to be struggling with the recall part. Let's say I've programmed a focus for one fixture, specifying PAN/TILT, IRIS/SHUTTER and COLOUR focus masks (focus mask hasn't been changed from the Wipeall default).

If I change all of these parameters, and then recall the preset focus via the lamps bank: the look is as I required it to be.

If I change the parameters back to some other setting, then try and edit the preset focus: (in program mode)

select LAMPS bank

hit the blue EDIT FOCUS key (all banks' lights illuminate)

hit the relevant Focus/Add button for the preset focus

.... and the Pearl recalls only PAN/TILT and IRIS/SHUTTER, but not colour - even though it recalled this successfully when I wasn't editing!

I've also had problems where the TILT values are recalled too high when editing, compared to a straight recall!

The (hired) Pearl is running SP1.2 Sep22 2000

Any help would be appreciated in advance of me phoning Avo tomorrow!

Cheers,

Tom

Hope this response isn't too late for you.

Not sure I 100% understand what you are saying but I think I know what the problem is. When you have one of the parameters selected other than the lamps bank, and you recall a focus, it will only recall the focus information for the attribute you have selected. So if you have colour selected, it will only recall the colour. The same applies when you are programming focuses. If you have lamps selected and you recall a focus, it recalls the information for all the parameters stored on that key, hence why you are seeing all the parameter lights coming on.

The thinking behind this is that you can have focuses which recall complete 'looks' from one key if you have Lamps selected, or you can use the focuses to store information for specfic attributes by using the attribute select keys.

Hope this is of some help to you, any further questions feel free to give me a shout.

Regards

John Huson

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply John. I got the focus masks idea; what I was experiencing was a problem actually editing the preset focuses. Turns out I was using the wrong sequence of keypresses; I should have been:

- clearing the programmer

- applying the preset focus to the fixtures for which I wished to edit it

- hitting Edit Focus

- selecting the relevant focus bank to make the alteration(s) via

- making alterations

- hitting Store Focus

- selecting (FOCUS ADD or keying the number) the relevant focus

...which seems to be a discrepancy with the manual.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Tom

Archived