Are you rigging safely?

Thirdtap

What would you do when rigging say lights on a stand or flybar?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do when rigging say lights on a stand or flybar?

• Rig within the rated safe working load
    • Rig as much as posssible and if it's slightly over the limit ok?
    • Put all the gear you want up and see what happens?
    • Don't know the weights of the equipment, research first
    • Don't know the weights of the equipment, guess then rig
    • Refuse to rig because you don't feel confident about it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I notice that they also had a SWL for the entire grid of 2500kg, and a SWL for each joist (presumably running up/down stage and to which the drop pulleys are attached) of 1000kg. But then, it is made of wood ... :P

I often wonder about such things on our stage. All our bars are rated, but if we fully load everything (this never really happens in practice) there will be quite some load on the fly gallery wall (to which the LX bar winches and fly-bar cleats are attached).

Also, on the fly bar issue, our hemp lines are rated at 50kg, I think, and are not counterweighted. This is solely based around what one flyman can manually haul (you try hauling 50kg on a bar actually ... it's damned difficult). Adding extra people doesn't help that much. I think two people can haul about 60kg, three people 70kg, and you don't even want to try 4 people on one hemp line, at least not on our fly! :** laughs out loud **:

Archived