Delay Unit for Church Sound System

Ben.

Hi all,

Looking for a delay unit to put in the audio signal chain in a church system, basically to try and sync the visuals and audio better.

It is for a seperate room that is being sent audio and visuals to the main church, hence real time not being crucial.

Just wondering what units anyone would suggest using, or if anyone knows of anything that can just alter system delay.

I'm not sure if there is anything other than multi effects units that are avaliable.

Thanks

Any loudspeaker management system will offer that functionality. Offerings from DBX are worth investigating; also Behringer's offerings. Maybe even behringer's shark - I've used one a few times for problem solving tasks like that & it won't break the bank.

Thanks for all the replies so far......

Any loudspeaker management system will offer that functionality.

It's cheap and nasty loudspeakers at the moment, they are in the process of upgrading, but as far as I know peavy don't offer a loudspeaker management system :off:

the people speaking might find it difficult to work with

Mentioned in the original post that the delayed signal will be sent to a second seperate venue to the main venue, so it's just a relay system in essence.

I'll have a look at the mentioned delay units, if anyone has any more that would be most appreciated.

Ben

Techywizz must have been unlucky, I used a Shark as a fixed delay for several years before going digital, never lost the setting and it was always powered down between shows, sometimes for months. It has a latency of around 11 mS but this should not be a problem in your application.

Brian

It has a latency of around 11 mS but this should not be a problem in your application.

I'm glad someone else has measured this! I suspected that the feedback destroyer function wasn't so much the large chunk of the audio spectrum it removed, but the fact the the processed signal got moved to a different time zone ;-)

Ben, do you know what length of delay you need to apply?

Simon

Havn't measured it yet, but at a guess somewhere around 60-100 ms

Well, the Shark is cheap and cheerful, and it will certainly give you you that range of delay. I haven't had a good experience with its feedback destroyer function (read - still wakes up in a cold sweat thinking about it!).

Simon

I'm glad someone else has measured this!

Simon

If it is of interest the actual figure was 11.4mS using Smaart. It is a shame that I ran out of computers to download the demo software as it is somewhat outside my budget for occasional use.

Brian

Techywizz must have been unlucky, I used a Shark as a fixed delay for several years before going digital, never lost the setting

We've had a similar problem recently, with a church where a Shark had been used as a cheap'n'cheerful delay unit. It has worked perfectly for several years, then recently it somehow reset itself to a stupidly long delay time. (The church service descended into farce until someone worked out what was happening)

Our theory is that the unit freaked out due to some sort of mains anomaly. It's continued to work fine once the correct setting was reinstated, although I'll be very interested to see how it gets on from here...

It's cheap and nasty loudspeakers at the moment, they are in the process of upgrading, but as far as I know peavy don't offer a loudspeaker management system :P

I have an extremely good Architectural Acoustics (a subsidiary of Peavey) MediaMatrix X-Frame system that tells me you're mistaken :P

I have an extremely good Architectural Acoustics (a subsidiary of Peavey) MediaMatrix X-Frame system that tells me you're mistaken :P

Very true, but it's a sore point for Peavey that apart from Media Matrix, their equipment is often not taken seriously by the pro audio crowd. Witness their company acquisitions....

Our theory is that the unit freaked out due to some sort of mains anomaly. It's continued to work fine once the correct setting was reinstated, although I'll be very interested to see how it gets on from here...

It might be worth checking to see if there is an internal backup battery. This could need replacement soon.

Cheers

James.

Peavey's Architectural Acoustics range has some very useful equipment . I have been using the Peavey IDL-1000 successfully in my church for a couple of years. It is from their Architectural Acoustics line and is simple to setup and reliable. It is only 16bit, but the dynamic range will be good enough in most applications unless you have a very quiet building. I bought it fairly cheap on eBay. I am planning to upgrade to Media Matrix X-frame units (also bought on eBay and then refurbished) as part of a wider refurbisment. They are excellent units and can be made to do almost anything, but I don't recommend these unless you are comfortable working with advanced software defined systems.

Archived