ear plugs

P. Funk

I got quite a few noisy events coming up in my life, and I was thinking about getting some nice ear plugs to help preserve my ears for a few years (I already have quite bad tinnatus). I read a review a year or so ago about some ear plugs that could be fitted and had interchangeable 'diaphragms' for different levels of noise reduction.

I am a musician as well, and am probably after something with a good, even frequency response so I can tell what I'm doing.

Just wondered if any of you used them, or had heard about any good ones...

any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

ok well I have gone ahead and got some - ordered monday came yesterday (thurs) from germany!

I have yet to use them properly, but they seem OK. what filter is best to use do you think (yellow/purple).

going to be on a jazz course over the weekend so should have ample time to test their capabilities...

Purple : a filter optimized for music with excellent sound properties. It is described as especially "straight and open". Natural hearing and direction hearing are obtained. Even speech comprehension is possible.

Yellow: In the area around 4 kHz, which is extremely bad for the hearing, a special high tone filter for extremely shrill situations achieves an absorption of almost 5dB more than the purple filter. Overall it offers an absorption that is a bit higher.

• 1 month later...

Archived