Arkaos Advice

Nick S

I want to say it won't run on a Macbook, as the integrated graphics chip won't support it (versus the powerbooks and MacBook pros, which have their own GPU). But I've just had mine delivered, so once I've unpacked it I can double check that.

I want to say it won't run on a Macbook, as the integrated graphics chip won't support it (versus the powerbooks and MacBook pros, which have their own GPU). But I've just had mine delivered, so once I've unpacked it I can double check that.

yeah, MacBook may be pushing it, but doubt you'll manage to run 3 seperate screens from the integrated graphics whichever method you used...

I did exactly what you're trying to do for a show a few months back running Arkaos DMX on a MacBook Pro off a Hog III. Arkaos was setup to output to a Matrox Triple Head to Go unit providing us with three outputs. Each clip was then specified in Arkaos to use a portion of the screen allowing us to either span the content over all three screens or have seperate content on each of the three screens simultaneously.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Richard

• 1 month later...
Hi I have been playing around with some software called VVVV at http://vvvv.org/tiki-index.php. A bit tricky to get your head round initially but well worth sticking with. FREE for non commercial use. Its like a modular synth but can deal with audio, video , midi ,DMX and more. I have managed to patch something which basically works like Arkaos/Resolume using an Enttec USB pro dongle into a laptop. Check it out. Regards Mickey

• 1 month later...
Quick note on the side: When buying Arkaos you Actualy get 3 licences. So you could run the aplication from three computers and distribute rendering power over multiple cpu's and gpu's.. But I dont know if if the sync is going to be a problem... I could imagine that if you use 3 computer you get lag between them... But if you only want to use it to output as a dynamic backdrop this might be an option...

• 1 month later...

Ah, another fellow user of vvvv, ive been using it since fabruary 2008 and yes I agree its well worth sticking with it. The audio capabilities are limited but the video/imagery and number crunching is superb. I done some tests pixelmapping to pixeline a while back using an Enttec USB pro and it is so easy when you know how Pixel Mapping . Currently been prototyping some pixel stuff for Beijing and vvvv outperformed another comercial desk ;-) .

Back to the origional question, its relatively simple once you get your head arround vvvv to output 3 video feeds using the triple head to go and something like an geo8800 card,

although if money is no option you could speak to the guys at GreenHippo (they are super helpfull) and they will tell you what you need and put you onto a local hire company.

Any questions on vvvv, please feel free to contact me.

Archived