I've read through the previous thread and there's a lot of good advice on there. I'd just add the following as someone who selects people from CVs.

There are two types of CV: those sent out randomly asking for freelance or casual work and those sent out in support of a specific job application.

In the latter you need to tailor everything to the job description and person specification (if there is one). Many companies nowadays are forced to use a system which is seen to be as fair as possible to everyone and avoids (supposedly) any discrimination. The personel dept. will send the relevant manager(s) copies of all application forms with the name, age, sex etc. removed. The manager(s) has submitted in advance criteria of how they will select candidates for interview and this has formed the basis of the person spec. Therefore, you will only get an interview if they can tick the relevant boxes. Have you shown you can operate a lighting board? Have you shown you understand Health and Safety? Have you shown you can work as part of a team? No matter how good you are, if the managers can't tick boxes you CAN'T get an interview. So follow the person spec and job description rigidly and show you can do everything they want their technician (or whatever) to do.

For general CVs sent out looking for work if it becomes available, you need to show breadth. "I can do this and this and this and this..." Don't say I worked on this play and this play and this play... say I lit this play, helped with sound on this one, did get-in and get-out on this one, worked on this dance show, this musical, this conference etc. The more you suggest you can do, the more likely it will be that they have something like that coming up.

HTH.

also, if you've done enough shows, it may be worth writing up a resume with the shows you worked on and what you did in them.

this can be a separate document which can be referred to in the cv.

it can be supplied as required for each post applied for.

all the best

andrew

As someone who has looked through a very large number of cv's when hiring - I would say again - 2 pages of cv and a 1 page covering letter - any more than that and the employer gets bored/fed-up/whatever.... whether it is morally right or wrong for someone not to read the 10 page missive you've sent in I don't know....

Maybe that is a another question for others to answer?

Archived