• Collisseum
    • Palladium
    • Lyceum
    • Victoria Apollo
    • Apollo
    • Arts
    • Gielguid

For referance;

Apollo; 796 seat on 4 levels (bloody hell thats small!!)

Apollo Victoria; 2786 on 2 levels

Dominion; 2,007 on 2 levels

Drury Lane; 2'337 on 4 levels

Gielgud; 889 on 3 levels (even smaller!!)

London Palladium; 2'298 on 3 levels

Of corse this doesn't just mean largest speating capasity wins! Also base itr on stage Area.

I think Drury Lane is the biggest from what I've heard anyway.

The Lyeceum is a really lovely theatre though, outside and in.

Another interesting fact- Only 2 are owned by CC (Dominion and Lyeceum). They also own the Apollo Hamersmith but is this the same as the Apollo or Apollo Vic??

Sam

I've had the pleasure of working at the Apollo Victoria as well as a brief stint at the Palladium.

And in reply to Sam Henderson.....Hammersmith apollo and the the Apollo Victoria are very similar. Hammersmith seats over 3500 though. Both venue's have a large seating capacity but a very small stage which is frustrating.

I've been told that since the dominion had its building work done in the nineties its stage is the biggest out of the venues mentioned. that and the fact that it has a very good seating capacity (and remember that it used to have 3 levels...the 3rd is now blocked off and used as office space) So it gets my vote.

p.s but having said that...I voted for the dominion and then noticed that the collisseum and royal opera house was on the list. slightly unfair as these buildings are funded completely differently but they are by far the largest.

Hammersmith Apollo or still remembered as the Odeon to a lot of rock types, now has capacity of around 5,000. I believe this was done to compete with the Brixton academy. I remember looking at a 'white book' type publication which at the back had venue information listed by capacity. Wembley Stadium was at the top with around 83,000 I think and at the bottom was a pub venue with 25 spaces.

Hammersmith Apollo or still remembered as the Odeon to a lot of rock types, now has capacity of around 5,000. I believe this was done to compete with the Brixton academy

yes, they have removed the seats in the stalls, although I believe they can be put back in for productions that should be all seated.

I think Drury Lane is the biggest from what I've heard anyway.

Drury Lane certainly has a lovely big stage, which is rarely used right to the back, sometimes having a completely different set stored upstage, or a quick change room or whatever. I don't think it has over 22,000 seats, though, as you suggest. Slight typo?

I was at the Coliseum having a nose-round backstage today, and according to one of the stage management team who was showing us round, he reckons they have the largest stage in the country.

He wasn't sure whether it's true, but it seemed pretty big. And while I'm on the subject, the auditorium is looking quite spectacular after the refurbishment, even if backstage isn't quite finished yet!!

I'll second the comment about Drury Lane having a huge stage. The most impressive thing about it is the depth - it just goes so far back!

so, given the number of factors involved, we need a formula to derive one single number.... may I suggest

Size of theatre = AxB, where

(no. of seats x Pros height)/counter weight sets = A

no.of inhouse sparks/ attractivness of Box office staff = B

Attractiveness of staff on scale of 1 - 10. 1 being similiar to troll.

For example.....

Dundee Rep

450 (people) x 6 (m) divided by 38 = 71.05.......

3 (LX crew) divided by 7 (nice bunch) = .42857...

Dundee rep theatre size = 30.5.

I think the formula is right....

what size is your venue?

mike ;)

Archived