strand 300 channel count and attributes

themadhippy

So how does it work then? Am I correct in thinking that a desk with 100 channels and 100 attributes can control 100 dimmer channels and 100 attribute channels? So, if I have 4 fixtures that require 25 control channels each I could still run 96 dimmers,or is it more complex than that?

Close but no cigar... it is slightly more complex.

If you have licenced 100 channels you can have independent control of up to 100 channels. But that can be many more dimmers because you can patch multiple dimmers to the same channel. With 100 channels and 100 attributes, the number of attributes you can control is 200 minus the number of channels you create. Unused channels can be used as attributes but not vice-versa.

So in your example if you had fixtures requiring 26 DMX addresses - ie 1 dimmer and 25 other control - you could have up to 7 of them using 7 channels and 175 attributes, leaving you 18 channels to control the rest of the rig. But if you had 2 of them you would use 2 channels and 50 attributes and you would have 98 channels for the rest of the rig not 148.

The number of DMX outputs you have is limited by the number of universes you have (I can't remember how many a 300 desk has but if it is 1 then 512 is the max, 2 universes = 1024 DMX outputs etc) And of course if you wanted to you could have multiple dimers or fixtures addressed on the same DMX address so the number of physical dimmers and fixtures can be much higher.

Archived