Scroller style cable, only with two data pairs

peternewman

Hi all,

I'm looking for something similar to scroller cable, but it needs two data pairs rather than the normal one. The fixtures need power and DMX for control, but have a proprietary system for programming/addressing on another two pins, so I need one DMX spec data pair, and I'm sure the other one will work fine if its DMX spec too. I've tried the usual suspects (CPC, TMB, VDC, AC, 10oo10) and not had any luck, so does anything exist, or can someone suggest an alternative?

It is indeed maeterlinck, 24V to be precise. I'm not entirely sure of the current draw, but its LED stuff, so it shouldn't be too huge. I've got some other LED stuff that does use Cat 5, and I could use two pairs for power I guess, although given the connector it currently uses internally for power I'm not sure that would necessarily have enough capacity.

A couple of people also suggested the two DMX and power cable you can get for running to individual fixtures to me, but I'm concerned that would be too bulky to fit in an XLR. Interestingly the one piece that came fully wired to the XLR6s just seems to be using a standard 6 core cable with no special data pairs.

After a bit more thinking, I'm wondering if the best bet will just be to go with XLR4s, scroller cable and the standard scroller pinout instead, then just have an additional 2 pin connector for when it needs to be programmed, possibly just a 2.5/3.5mm jack socket in the end of the fixture to plug into, given addressing/programming is obviously done less frequently than general use/cabling. Aside from removing the issue of a source of cable for this, it also means I could hire in more scroller cable if needed.

ETC use ProPlex PC226T (3 twisted pairs) for the wired-RFU, which uses two sets of RS485 plus power.

They don't use a lot of power though, and it's not an easy cable to get hold of.

We've also had a lot of issues with various kinds of XLR-6 connectors - they are not all the same, and they don't all mate with each other!

I'd be tempted to go with the XLR-4, plus a separate 'programming' connector simply because it's easier to get more of those!

We've also had a lot of issues with various kinds of XLR-6 connectors - they are not all the same, and they don't all mate with each other!
I think that this is a case of Switchcraft type, and everyone else. There is an entry in the Wiki. But yes, it is a PITA!

Architectural lighting companies such as Dynalite, an Australian company, use Cat5 cable as they use two data pairs and parallel two data pairs to give them a heavier current dc supply. one web site states "Gauge: 24AWG • Current: 3.7 Amps" . There are two types of cat 5 cable, solid strand for installation and flexible for patch cords. The flexible may be a lower current rating so ckeck with your supplier.

Hi Peter, have you looked at the Klotz hybid range? several diffrent styles ranging from 1x 1.5 T & E plus 1 x A W G 24 110ohm upwards to 4 x A W G 24 110ohm plus 1.5 T & E ( lots of diffrent combinations available mains available up to 2.5) I've used it on installs when I've needed seperate DMX outputs to diffrent zones/exterior lighting. It's not that expensive and some of my sites still have the cables in use after 2 or 3 refit's

Hope this helps

g

Archived