Prompt Book

Welcome to the Blue Room. As a new member you won't realise that one of the sure fire ways to get no useful posts back is to post without asking a proper question.

"any information" makes us think you are maybe trying to get quick answers for something you need to do. Firstly, what info do you need, what's it for, what kind of prompt book - as in for dance, drama, musical theatre etc - some of the content is common - others very different, so you need to give us a hand. However - bung the word 'prompt' into the search box at the top of the page and you can search the blue room. Pretty useful this - as the subject comes up rather often.

Paul

mods

If you are just starting out then can I suggest the purchase of one or two stage-management books .... depending upon your budget of course - or get in contact with your local library and see if they have them in stock.

I would recommend the following 2 to get you started - there are obviously a lot more available but these are great for basic knowledge:

Essential Handbook by Gail Pallin http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1854597345.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

SM - A Gentle Art by Daniel Bond http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0878300678.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Good luck.

NB - If a mod can change these links to the proper Amazon picture of the book that would be great please!

I'd recommend lawrence sterne's book. can't do upper case - cat has me in a catlock. one thing I'd suugest is if you're right handed make up the book with script on the left and blank sheet on right - note taking is easier that way and you can still follow for prompts in rehearsal even as you scribble

The other great stage management book is Thomas Kelly's Backstage Guide to Stage Management - I'm also not clever enough to make it a picture link...This book has loads of great info about prompt books.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0823088103.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I asked for this for Christmas, but apparently it's out of print.

Don't know if anyone has a different knowledge?

• 3 months later...

make sure even the most stupidest person could make sense of it. also if you are forgetful make sure you write everything down. for instance when I was cueing a show I had to also do the bar bells before the performance. I would alwasy forget so I made an extra sheet at the beginning of the book with cues I had to do before the performance starts.

however by far the most important thing, as other people have already said, is to make sure other people can read it. becasue if you are ill and you have made it so only you can understand then your stand in wont be happy.

row

Top tip from Rowan there. The single most important thing to remember is to make your book "idiot-proof".

If your struck down by a bus on the way to work, one of the ASM.s will need to cover for you and its not going to be much fun for them or the running of the show if they have a problem with your presentation.

Make sure contact details of venue / crew / and cast are always easily to hand.

Archived