Small 500 or 650W very-wide fresnels

Biskit

Hi Guys,

I light several productions in a small (I mean tiny) church hall, with very short throws due to poor placement of the hanging positions from the past. I tend to use CCT Minuette Fs at full flood (57 degrees I believe) on an advance bar (in fact the only bar apart from FOH).

Trouble is, they're not really wide enough! I've tried various frosts etc but it doesn't really work. Does anyone know of small Fresnels which go wider? Annoyingly, I have Patt 743s available which would be ideal with their huge angle range, but they're too big in terms of physical size and also power.

I recently had a brainwave and remembered some Patt 123s I have in store - I thought about renovating them, hoping they may have similar beam characteristics to their big brothers the 223/743, but looking on Strand Archive, it appears they are actually narrower than my existing Minuettes ;)

Any ideas? Not necessarily limited to current lanterns - I'm happy to hunt for second hand if decent older units exist.

Thanks,

Ben.

I tend to use CCT Minuette Fs at full flood (57 degrees I believe)...

Trouble is, they're not really wide enough!

The ADB Eurospot version of the Minuette (F51) has a wider beam - still not hugely wide, but spec'd at 18/65 degrees. I have Minuette F and PC lanterns in a small venue and borrow-in ADB F51s and C51s for larger projects - I can confirm that the ADB spread really is noticably wider.

See ADB website for details.

David

You may want to look at Pulsar fresnels. I bought some several years ago for a small church hall, and was actually very impressed with the beam angle and the smoothness of the beam. The beam angle (8.5-68) was massively wider than a 123, and significantly wider than a Minuette F.

Build quality was fine for local hall use; not sure I'd take them out on a world tour. They're about the same size as a Minuette - perhaps a little larger, (+15%?).

Unfortunately, Pulsar don't seem to list them on their website anymore...

Failing that, a PC lens might be a little wider?

As stated above, the ADB Eurospot fresnel goes to 65 degrees compared to the Minuette F's 57 degree spread.

Alternatively, the ADB "A" Series (A56C) PC goes 66 degrees and gives a similar beam type.

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but the ADB Softlux fluorescent wash light gives a nice soft wash and some beam control via barndoors. It's dimmable via DMX control.

HTH

Barney

Selecon's Acclaim PC goes to 65 degrees, and they're very nice little units. The fresnel version isn't quite as wide, 60 degrees I seem to remember.

+1

Used them on a show last year. Liked them a lot. They burned through gel a little faster than I'd have liked, but then again, I was using a VERY deep blue.

If you are mechanically minded a Patt 123 can be made to go very very wide by elongating the slot in the bottom of the outer casting and shortening the internal casting that the lampholder and reflector attach to. The lamp then can get closer to the lens and a wider beam results. This does mean that a T/1 non tungsten halogen lamp can no longer be used and there may be an issue with the light source being burned closer to the lens. I certainly wouldn't use more than a 500w lamp.

Another option for you to consider is to experiment with Patt 23's. A second lens can be added - either plano convex or fresnel in the lens tube. These go very wide and although dark colours will burn out it is possible to get a gobo to come in to some sort of focus at least when using the former lens.

I have it on good authority that the lighting rig in Raymonds Revue bar was largely made up of Patt 23W's at one time.

I regularly use Quartet PC's with hamburg frost in small stage situations - they go a lot wider than the F versions.

Another tip is to use a strip of ND in the bottom of the frame with the colour and frost. This reduces the intensity of the light as the performer gets close to the lantern. In effect the beam has a bright bit for upstage and a dimmer bit as they get closer to the light source. This also works with floods like the Coda 500.

In fresnels and PC's the closer the ND is to the lens the softer is the transition between the bright and dark bits of the beam.

Spotblaster

Archived