Flying a bed!

Moschops

I was just looking for some advise. A company want to have a flying bed for a production of Lovers. What they would like to happen is, a person in a bed are hanging about 3metres from the ground, they then get lowered to about 50 cm off the ground and then back up to 3metres. Other than this being a health and saftey nightmare, I was wondering if any body could give me advise on how to do this. The theatre I work in has a wire lighting grid, and therefore no flying bars. I know that they would probably have to get a bed made specially, and use a pully system of some sort but other than that I have no ideas.

Has anybody done this before? Or any other suggestions about how to do it would be gratefully recieved. Also if any body has done this before how much did it cost?

You could Try Mike Frost at Hi-fly he is fairly user friendly and usually cost effectively on 0161 224 6082 or mikefrost@hi-fli.co.uk

Or

Pm me and we could discuss it next week when I have my work head on I would

say it's not going to be cheap to do safely and effectively

Regards

Em

You have to start up top. Weather you are using a pulley-counter weight system or automation you have to know what it's being attached too and how much weight it can hold.

If you choose to use a counter weight system don't forget to add that weight to your calculation.

For the movie "The Shipping New" starring Kevin Spacey, we lifted and lowered a bed into a pool. We had to use automation because of the change in weight. (if your actors get on or off the bed you could use a dummy weight to compensate)

We tried to do it with just two points, down to an inverted bridal with a spreader bar. Works in theory unless you get waves rocking the bed.

Ultimately we ended up using 4 chainmaster silent running chain motors down to aircraft cable at each of the corners of the bed.

This is a project with many safety variables. Consulting a proffesional rigger, and having a structural engineer look at your space is a wise decision.

Whatever the outcome always be prepared to say "NO" if you have any doubt.

If you've no loadbearing points above then either you have to have them installed by structural engineers or you cannot support anything from above. Can you support from the stage? Scissor lift? Fork lift truck? custom made lift? hide the works in blacks? all done with mirrors?

a show I worked on a long time again (at anglia tv) did just what you are describing. They mounted the bed in place of the platform on a mole camera crane. the crane was behind the set with the arm through a disguised slot in the flat - If I remember right, the headboard had a roller going up, and there was another under which hid it a bit. we had just one person on it - not sure if the bucket would cope with 2 people plus bed's weight. Have you been round the local tool hire companies - there are some really clever vertical access equipment kit around - maybe some sort of scissor lift?

Thank you for all your help. The company have decided that they don't have enough money or time in the theatre to be able to do the bed flying, which is a shame it would have been a very good effect.

Thank you all again.

Archived