Using an iTrip or similar FM transmitter for live translation

Stuart91

Does it have to be ONE I-trip.

Nothing wrong with creating a cellular system with a few (obviously with differing frequencies).

IE recreate a mobile phone type network.. where TX's of differing frequencies overlap, making a complete grid..

I say this as these things are so damn cheap!

I have no idea, but it seems logical to think it shouldnt have any law problems as you are not boosting power output, you are gaining more "coverage", but without modifiying or boosting the TX's. it would require a little signage on-site explaining "your best frequency is..........."

The low power devices have little need to be 'quality' systems, and capture effect works against the use of multiples - even those that can switch channels, only do so within a narrow bandwidth and are unlikely to be tightly filtered. If you only have a few events a year that need this - you could do it properly with a restricted service licence - although these are usually used to allow 28 days in one go - they can be used over a longer period If the reception is contained within the site, then fm service is a possibility. It would be expensive, but could be done.

If you did use lots of these low power devices, there is a possibility you would effectively wipe out normal radio reception - which could be viewed as deliberate jamming by the authorities - individually, they are legal - but combining them like this could be construed as dodgy?

John, have you actually tried an iTrip and found that it's got a 4-5m range, or is that an educated guess? We could probably mount high enough to get decent line of sight.

Not done any scientific testing & measurement, it's an educated guess based on experience of using my own iTrip in various places. Obviously as Bruce said, it's as much dependant on the sensitivity of the receiver as the power of the transmitter.

Archived