Lighting desk wanted for music venues

gallente

im looking to buy a cheep (max.£500) but effective DMX lighting desk, to be used with some fresnels and parcans, and maybe some moving heads in the future, and I want to create some FX's if possible

ive been asked to do the lighting for a m8s band when they play, so the venues arnt going to be that big. probably max of 12 lights at a time

anyone got any ideas?

Hmmm I don't think you'll get much in the way of Moving Light Desks for £500 - I can only second the Strand MX suggestion - there is one for sale on this board at the mo (offer price) or a MX24 on AC Lighting for £350.

The desk has a live control effects panel, and either 4 pages of 12, 24 or 48 submasters depending on which flavour desk you have got (12, 24 or 48 channel control).

Stu

The only thing you'll get for that kind of budget that's geared up for moving lights is one of the cheap disco controllers from the likes of Thomann. Something by Botex or Behringer, perhaps. But you get what you pay for, so don't expect much of a controller for that price.

If you ignore the moving light side of things, though, and just go for something that'll run your generics (you can always hire in a controller to run moving lights when required) you can't go wrong with the Strand 200 series. From personal experience, I can tell you that they're good desks, and excellent value for money.

I agree with Gareth, you wont find anything, including second hand prices(unless your lucky) that can run both for under £500!

http://www.10outof10.co.uk/acatalog/strand200.jpg <-- Strand 200 12/24 channels

the strand 200 series, I have heard are good for the money, but I do like zero 88 and can recommend the Alcora! http://www.10outof10.co.uk/acatalog/Alcora.jpg <-- Alcora 12/24 channels

Although on aesthetics I think the strand is nicer.

the Alcora is a little more expensive but, you get what you pay for! :rolleyes:

Hi,

If you have a spare pc or laptop (doesn't need to be very high spec) You could get a pc based lighting controller for under £500...

Show magic is a ace bit of software which can control both generics and moving lights. The basic version is £320. you then need a DMX card or USB DMX device for £153. Total = £473 (£555 inc vat).

I use show magic for all my lighting (generic and moving) at my venue. It has never let me down yet. Its very easy to set up and use yet very powerful.

Have a look at the showmagic site (where you can download a demo)

ShowMagic

If you are interested, PM me and I can give you contact details for the DMX card.

The other suggestion I would make is the Pulsar Masterpiece. Although I am not sure of the price of one of these, I imagine the smaller version (96 channels) would be affordable. Very powerful bit of kit (once u get your head round it!)

pulsar masterpiece

Good Luck!

Just got a couple of points about using a PC/Laptop:

Firstly a PC/laptop will break a hell of a lot more easily than a good quality lighting desk unless you go for a very expensive industrial one. I took my laptop, of decent build quality, on tour for a week and a half during which time I broke it twice and destroyed it a further two times. These were caused by rushed set up and damage during use as it was in a well padded flightcase for transport. Luckily I had plenty of backups and very understanding insurers who paid for two brand new laptops and a new screen. :rolleyes:

Secondly I am not a great fan of the standard interfaces used on laptops/PCs (keyboard etc) and would, in your situation, rather sacrifice a few features and get a proper desk with proper faders, wheels etc. I am not saying they don't have there uses its just personally I would think twice about using one in this situation.

but I do like zero 88 and can recommend the Alcora! the Alcora is a little more expensive but, you get what you pay for! :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't a submaster facility for the Alcora, meaning that creating the simplest of looks to busk with, is not going to be an easy task at all?

I think the Elara is the Submaster sister, and therefore more suited to a live situation.

Stu

Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't a submaster facility for the Alcora, meaning that creating the simplest of looks to busk with, is not going to be an easy task at all?

I think the Elara is the Submaster sister, and therefore more suited to a live situation.

Stu

No Stu that is correct the Alcora has 12channels (and 24 in wide mode) and no submasters, so it wouldn't be ideal in a music based situation. The Elara is more of a Live Style desk as it has two pages of Submasters allowing instant playback of recorded memories

Have you thought about the new desk from Zero 88, The Diablo;

It has 108 subs, Effects genorator, Joystick Control, Control of 18 Generic Channels and 18 movers

This is the Product Spec

I think the RRP is just over £500 if my memory serves me correct.

Sam

X.P.S. Gareth on dfb-uk.com and on here has been trying to flog a NJD Merlin Flighcased Its off standard for theatre but excellent when you understand it. 16 faders each individually channel scene or program, Joystick. 256 DMX chans in total (3 pin XLR ) memory cards for new identities £300 to £500 I think They are about £650 NEW from DFB

Archived