What happens if everythings going down the s**ter?

Hey, probably just putting a post up out of general panic than anything else, I've applied for 6 uni's/theatre schools had 1 interview and 3 unsuccessful applications, I might be just wallowing in my own self pity, but I'm just starting to think about what other possibilities there are if I don't get onto a course anywhere.

Any help anyone please

thanks

Chris :D :rolleyes:

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again"

But really, as Stu said, get yourself as much casual work as possible and apply again next year when you know your A level grades. If you get full-time theatre work, you may be able to get training (e.g. C&G 2360) from them.

You could also do more A levels if that will help.

You could also write to the admissions tutors asking what you could to to improve your chances of being successful in the future.

Remember, a degree is not essential I have been working as a computer programmer for 10 years without a degree!

Guest lightnix

Above all, don't panic. I remember I blew my first two interviews (Central School & Guildhall) very badly. I was starting to accept that I might not get into drama school after all and making emergency plans. All of which meant I probably came across more naturally for my next two interviews (LAMDA & Bristol Old Vic)

EDIT: Oops... was going to add that both LAMDA and Bristol offered me places (in my relaxed state), which meant that I could tell RADA no thanks.

Get the yellow pages, find out the addresses of all the local theatres and start applying for cassie work
Absolutely, not forgetting all the equipment hire and local crewing companies as well. Be prepared, though, to be called at short notice to work all night for bugger all money and/or to be shacked up in a warehouse cleaning cable for a few months to start with.

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again"
Again, yes. It's a tough old business out there and you will certainly suffer setbacks throughout your career, not just at the beginning of it. The entertainments industry is huge, it's not just about theatre and (believe it or not) there are parts of it where a degree in theatre lighting will send your CV flying straight into the bin. There's rock 'n' roll, conferencing, exhibitions, TV, parties, festivals, etc. out there, most of which pay better than theatre and offer more than one way into the business. There is also more training around than ever before and a number of local colleges with perfectly acceptable BTECs on offer. Then there are the training courses offered by the likes of the ABTT, which will give you all the skills you will need to start out with and certificates to prove your competence. Qualifications are only of any real value while they are fresh, anyway; a ten year old degree is probably worth about as much as a six month old BTEC.

Get a real job / uni course, and if you are still bitten by the bug, join an amdram group.  Sorry, I know it's facetious and not much help, but it's what I did 20 years ago.
That's just what my parents said 20 years ago. Sometimes I really wish I'd listened to them.

One of the hardest things for degree level graduates to accept on leaving college, is that (strangely) nobody gives a toss about their First and are far more concerned about what they've done with the patch or how much sugar they've put in the coffee :rolleyes:

Remember you can psyc yourself out of an lnterview, by radiating desparation and / or panic in front of the panel, chill man!!

You dont say where in the theatre you target. Dont be too precise as then you will be waiting for someone to leave -- dead mens shoes!

Target yourself, list ten paths to that target, then ten ways onto those paths, then ten companies who could supply a start onto those ways. Thats a thousand items on a contact list. Sharpen your selling skills on the ones you do NOT want then you should be able to sell yourself well to the companies you do want to work for. IF you dont get admitted this year get some practical experience and try again next year.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING!

It's a sad, but very real fact that not everyone who gets offered a place actually turn up! Some lucky devils get offered two, then don't let the uni know they're not coming. So, if all goes t*ts up, start phoning around near the start date of the course at places you fancy who said no. Don't forget, every empty place costs them a lot of dosh - so you may suddenly discover a vacancy. Loads of unis also have internal transfers in the first week or two. People who sign up for one course, then find out very quickly it isn't for them and move accross - leaving an empty space. admissions tutors work by lists, but after the semester starts the course tutors may well take the odd stray!

Thank you all, I've calmed down a little bit now (Bring on Guildhall!) alot of helpful info aswell, hopefully for others in my position (although I feel like the only person in the owrld going through this right now)

One question though

it's not just about theatre and (believe it or not) there are parts of it where a degree in theatre lighting will send your CV flying straight into the bin. There's rock 'n' roll, conferencing, exhibitions, TV, parties, festivals, etc. out there, most of which pay better than theatre and offer more than one way into the business.

How would you get into this kinda buisness, my CV isn't exactly the most glamourous with not much experience on it?

cheers again

Chris

Guest lightnix

It's really a matter of persistence and perseverence. Somewhere, out there, is someone who will launch your career all the way into the stratosphere. "All" you have to do is find them.

As suggested, start out with the local theatres, local crewing and hire companies. 'Phone them up, find out who books the crew and try (without being pushy) to get to talk to them. Then send them your CV (with a covering letter and a list of recent gigs, no matter how "small" you think they are), wait two weeks and call them back. Try to get to meet them, suggest an informal chat over a pint if they are busy during the day.

Keep an eye on The Stage, L&SI, Total Production, Access All Areas and other trade rags, along with Media Guardian on Mondays (?). Get some business cards printed and send two of them out with each CV. Get yourself out to the ABTT show, PLASA, etc. with a fistful of them and do some networking (beer buying).

You almost certainly won't get offered any work straight away, but don't be put off by this. One thing I've found to work pretty well in the past is to create an "Availability" group in Outlook and e-mail them on a monthly basis with the dates you are free (even if it's all of them - you won't be the only one with nothing booked, believe me).

When you have a little more experience, repeat the above, aiming a little higher this time. Get a copy of the White Book or some such directory for a list of companies who might be worth calling. Try production and AV companies, along with those who service your chosen discipline. In fact, try anybody who looks even remotely promising - you never know and will never know if you don't ask. Sometimes the best / biggest gigs can come from the least expected sources.

Don't be put off by rejection. Accepted marketing wisdom says that every 100 mailshots you send out will generate about 3-4 "interested" leads and 1 (yes, one) actual sale. From personal experience I can assure you that this is true. But when you find that one... Oh The Joy ;)

At the tender age of 41 I'm going through this process again at the minute with Wavicle, 'phoning up retailers, sending out brochures, calling them back, trying to get to see them and persuade them to buy from us. I have identified a potential customer base of 3000 business from the Yellow Pages alone (and there are certainly many more out there), maybe from them I'll get 20-30 regular customers and get to make a living out of doing this. It can be a pretty soul destroying business at times, listening to people politely (sometimes) explaining that they are just not interested in the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck, stick with it and remember: You are NOT alone :)

Hi Chris

A blatant plug here but try RSAMD, some of the best facilities, a range of shows from devised to full scale, internationally toured Opera.

We also have close links with industry, come and see us at the Trade Show next week if you can

Anyone else interested is also welcome next Weds and Thurs 24th and 25th March 10-5

David Ripley

RSAMD

tpa@rsamd.ac.uk

Archived