Gauze 'curtain'

DSA

if you were to loop ropes under it you'd want to put some sort of pole along the bottom to keep it straight,

could you not lift it rather than lowering it, so it piled up on the floor, obviously youd have to find some way of trying to keep this neat and keeping your bands off it,

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was suggested having the roller at the top, and attaching a rope to the end somehow, to be turned.  I am worried that a very large force would be reqd. to turn the roller.  From experience, would you say that this is the case?

Not if you use a largish dia tube.

Alternatively I thought of just passing a rope under the bottom of the gauze in several places and hauling on the lines (via pulleys) to lift.  I am not sure whether that would look smart - perhaps the gauze would fan out? -

Perhaps you could use heavy fishing line to achieve a "swagged" effect?

hmm. just had an idea... could it go up, and rather than going vertical, go over a scaff bar and be pulled over the top of the rig (as long as theres no supports in the way) horizontally US or something...

if this makes any sense...

http://aa.1asphost.com/tomlyall/gauze.gif

thats a side view

I take it that you do not have room to fly it out fully.

Your best approach might be to 'butterfly' it.  You sew small rings to the back of it, spaced across and vertically and attach a series of cords to the batten at the bottom and run them through the rings up to pulleys above, and over a header block to a cleat on the side wall (Very similar to a roman blind).

I am not sure of the best spacing (I have conventionally flown a gauze that had the reings from a previous use but did not pay attention).

If you have sufficient height, you may be able to combine the lines into a single rope.  metalwork is available to allow you to do this.

I have used this method on a gauze before, and it's very effective if done properly, and will look the same as flying out properly.. Sewing hooks onto the back shouldn't damage the gauze as you can put the thread through the holes in the gauze, or use a very thin cable tie through a hole in the gauze.

EDIT: Hooks should read rings

yep - butterfly it out to the roof.

you will need a small weight on the bottom of the gauze, the frayed but may have been where the chain was before or where cable ties were fipped off.

using thin cable ties spaced evenly up the gauze, the effect is very good.

group the ropes together when at the floor and level, then use these lenghts as the levels - pull them all at the same rate and it will be raised evenly.

if you want, put lx tape on the line at level intervals to guide you.

cheers

andrew

I like this latest idea....it may be tested!

Fishing line......

spaced evenly along the width of the gauze (perhaps every metre?) and passing through it as it approaches the grid every 15cm or so (vertically) (let me know if it needs to be different!), pullied on the grid (that really should be a word) round to a 'haul point'. in effect it is 'butterflying' - like a blind really.

Will this work - will the fishing line be strong enough?

and where do I buy fishing line from? is it easy to get hold of? and is it expensive (ill need quite a bit!)

Thanks,

David

P.S. Let me know if it wont work!!!

I found some white cord in the box today which I think will do - its pretty strong - well we couldnt break it anyway, and I've found a way of getting it through the holes.

A little worried that it will be a bit visible (sort of kitchen string thickness), but there we go - it cant all be perfect!

Just got to rig the thing now!

David

• 3 weeks later...

Fishing line works a treat. We use it on 30ft wide by 16ft deep gauzes.

We use 6 lengths, over the width of the gauze. The bottom of the gauze has a 1/2in metal conduit pipe in it, and the fishing line is tied around the pipe. We sew small round curtain rings onto the gauze at about 18in centres.

The fishing line goes over small diverter pulleys at the top of the gauze (attached to a 48mm dia. pipe. The other end of the fishing line is attached to a standard boom arm (pointing downwards).

Another 3 way pulley is passed over the 6 pieces of fishing line before they are attached.

We then use sash line through that 3 way pully, and another one fixed to the floor to acheive a 1:6 ratio hauling line to be able to lift and lower the gauze quickly and easily. (We once tried it in the bare fishing line. It took days for the wounds to heal)

Unfortunately we don't have one rigged at the moment, or I'd send pictures.

Yes, pdrage, that is basically what I did. And it worked a treat - thanks everybody for your help - it took a while to rig! (shame I didnt have my camera!!)

Thanks,

David

carpet roll tubes have a VERY high failure rate - joining them even more of a problem.

One point.

If the initial idea is a bleed through then your gauze will have to have more hole than string - depend on what you've got hold of. The snag is that the gauze that works for bleedthrough well, is pretty awful stuff for projecting onto, and vice versa.

For what it's worth, the effect usually works very well - Once. repeated use bores the audience rigid. Maybe simply closing the tabs, if you have them to hide the change overs would be better from an audience perspective.

This link shows how a roller cloth works

cloth roll

• 8 months later...

Think this is a bit late now but incase someone wants to use it in later events.

I drew up a plan of what I would do.

http://the-grove-theatre.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/stage.jpg

It's only a quick drawing not one of my best :)

Adam

Archived