Slightly overpriced....

RoyF18

13A Duraplug Plug £3.71

13A Duraplug Socket £3.96

6M 2.5mm HO7 TRS @ £1.72 per metre (£10.32)

=£17.99+vat (£21.14 inc vat) for the component parts from the VDC website ... factor in time for manufacture & test etc and their profit margin (helps to keep folk in business) and its probably about right.

Maybe... but going by 10 Out Of 10 prices:

13A Duraplug - £1.97

13A Duraplug socket - £3.06

6m of 2.5mm H07 TRS (1.12 per metre) - £6.72

Total = £11.75 (prices above already include VAT)

I guess I'm being a bit pedantic but it wouldn't be me spending £47 (inc postage) on a 6m 13A cable. I do understand the need to make a profit for a business so why not make as much as possible!

Most people that would buy 13A cabling from VDC would be buying trade, therefore at lower rates. If I need those sorts of cable, then we'll buy the components and get one of us to make it, because as others have pointed out, the components aren't that expensive.

Says he of the gold plated soca (search for it if you don't understand)! :P

Whether 2.5 is needed or over the top is another question. Also the eBay bits of the listing appeared to imply you would get two, but the listing didn't mention it.

Yes, 2.5mm2 is over the top on a 6Mtr extension, you can go to 12Mtr on 1.25mm2 and 15Mtr on 1.5mm2.

Also 2.5mm is physically too big for most 13amp connectors and its use is not recommended.

...and how many times does more than one extension get used end to end? Sure for 95% of applications it will be over engineered but you could say the same for using H07RNF or the heavy duty plugs and sockets.

I wouldn't pay those prices but then again it's almost as easy for me to buy the parts and make it myself. For someone who doesn't know where to go to get the best prices on components, what's a decent cable or a good make of connectors it might not seem too bad. Remember you're buying into the brand and guarantee of quality not just paying for someone to put the components together.

2.5mm fits those MK plugs and sockets, and is tougher - so I think I'd consider it over-rated and thus better in service. No body has to buy it, if they don't want it.

Yes it does, at a pinch, I've used it too.

I think a few of us in the BR can get some of the square pegs into the round holes, it's the nature of the job.

I had always understood that max cable size recommended by MK was 1.5mm 3 core so I've just checked, HERE for plugs and HERE for trailing sockets and nothing has changed.

I know we no longer have an ebay thread. Am I allowed to put this here?

Presumably the brands mentioned in this are prestigiously priced. I've seen a few of these for sale over the past month, and none of them go for less than £20. I'd be making it from 10m of 3 core 1.5mm PVC mains flex and one connector at a cost of about £10. Should I be selling these on eBay? (include delivery, undercut them by £2 and still make £4-5 profit for half an hour's work)

www.rel.net, the manufacturer of equipment to go with this cable has on their site:

“It’s worth noting that the REL’s 100 Watts goes further than the 200 Watts or more of some of its rivals, and that there is less “bounce” in output when hit by the heavy low frequency transients that sap the power of lesser models.” Home Entertainment Magazine

Isn't that just because Watts doesn't tell you everything about about a sound system. Half the site might be twaddle.

Yes, 2.5mm2 is over the top on a 6Mtr extension, you can go to 12Mtr on 1.25mm2 and 15Mtr on 1.5mm2.

Sorry this is going off topic, but where do you get these limits from?

Regards

Martin

This is based on the max earth loop impedance for a BS1362 fuse (0.4 Ohm for a 5 Sec. disconnection).

It is based on a 13amp extension plugged directly into a wall socket installed to BS7671 with no other protection.

Extensions of greater length can be used but need the protection of a RCD, also excesive length may increase volt drop beyond the limit for the equipment connected.

The lengths 12Mtr for 1.25mm and 15Mtr for 1.5mm, for a 13amp extension, are the max lengths specified in the IEE CoP for in service I & T.

Archived