Real-Time Functions

peter

The only time I could ever imagine it being useful would be on new years eve to set off LX at exactly 12.00!

Or in Architectural Installations, or Theme Parks, or any host of other applications... I imagine you could even use it in a cinema, to fade the houselights at the start of the show.

The only time I could ever imagine it being useful would be on new years eve to set off LX at exactly 12.00!

Or in Architectural Installations, or Theme Parks, or any host of other applications... I imagine you could even use it in a cinema, to fade the houselights at the start of the show.

Indeed - when money's available, I have every intention of turning the outside of our building into a "mini-Croydon" (If you haven't seen the lights in Croydon, go look. Random, but pretty), using the RT functions on my desk to start the lighting sequences 30mins before sunset, and to stop them 30mins before sunrise...If only to say that I can!

Took me a while to realise why my Express asked me for Latitude & Longitude when I first set it up!

When I worked at the Bridgewater Hall, there was an art installation made of several vari-lites at different floors inside the plant tower ( a separate, glass fronted tower alongside the building housing all of the air-con etc) It did simple colour washes on the glass that changed depending on the time or day. For instance, saturday nights were bright colours and changed every few minutes, whereas sunday nights were congo blue and chocolate. it also came on earlier in the winter to account for shorter days.

Not quite a show situation, but an example of using the real time clock to trigger a light show

Real-time playback functions - any use?

Yes.

Someone's already mentioned the subject of controlling installations, which might need to come on at sunset, switch off in the small hours of the morning, and do various time-determined things in between.

Perhaps your houselights are controlled through the desk - so you might have a trigger to bring them up at 8:30 every morning except Sundays for the cleaners to come into the auditorium.

Does SMPTE time-code count as a real-time playback function in the context of this thread?

And of course, there's the "aid for lazy sparkies" application. You don't fancy the long walk from the office to the control room to the stage to the control room and back to the office - so you set a trigger to bring up the rig check state at 6:30 every evening, leave it for ten or fifteen minutes followed by a fade to black, then bring up the preset at the half ... ;)

Archived