"Cats" Lighting Desk

Tom_Robbo26

Hey blueroomers,

Was at a performance of "Cats" in newcastle last night and came accross 2 questions about the technical by the end of it. Theses being:

Where was the lighting desk? I searched the whole theatre from top to bottom, in the stalls, in the grand circle in the lighting box where it usually is, in the upper circle and in the gallery and there was absolutely nothing there. Could it have possibly have been run from a wing or could it have even been a program run from the sound desk which was in the stalls? That just puzzled me completely. The whole show was majority intelligent lighting also, so what happens when a light malfunctions or when moving from venue to venue, is there a piece of software to automatically change the lighting plot to the venue?

My second question was the laws on a safety curtain. I thought that it was law that a safety curtain had to be shown for at least 5 minutes in any performance. In the interval it didn't come down once, nor at the end or the beginning. I thought this was a law that must be obeyed or is this just a myth I have just heard?

Thanks TR

From what I remember, when I saw the Cats tour in Bristol, better part of a year ago, they had a Hog 2, based alongside the sound desk. I may be confused with another show, as I've seen many shows at the Bristol Hippo over the past year, but am pretty certain I'm thinking of the right time.

...is there a piece of software to automatically change the lighting plot to the venue?

If they were using a Hog2 (can't remember if Hog3 has it too...) yes, kinda.. its called XYZ positioning. But its far more likely that they just updated the focus palletes (or whatever the desk calls them) in every venue.

My second question was the laws on a safety curtain. I thought that it was law that a safety curtain had to be shown for at least 5 minutes in any performance. In the interval it didn't come down once, nor at the end or the beginning. I thought this was a law that must be obeyed or is this just a myth I have just heard?

Thanks TR

Depends on the venues licence. Two venues local to me, one shows the iron every performance. The other just has to 'ensure it is regularly tested'.

In the Venue that I do some work at we normally drop the Iron during the interval, however because of the audience meeting the cats during the interval we had the iron in when the house opened and took it out about 15mins before the show.

Re. the question of showing the iron - it's already covered (even down to the question arising from the same show at the same venue) here. Please, let's keep everything in one place and not fragment an otherwise coherent set of answers to a question, or duplicate everything that's posted.

If it was the Uk Tour, then yep, it was a Wholehog II. When I saw it the other week it was to the right of the sound desk, slightly obscured by all the outboard stuff for sound.

All LX equipment supplied by Stage Electrics.

Sound equipment supplied by Autograph Sound Recording Ltd.

Rigging by Unusual Rigging

I meant, its faders were being used to control something (it was labeled up)...presumably the Hog PC which it was sat in front of.

The Alcora (or similar small Z88 desk) was used as a fader wing to the hog II, giving fader control of stuff like haze machines, work lights, house lights etc etc. Stuff you'd normally put on subs for emergencies, but keeps things separate from the main cue stacks. The hog PC was sync'd to the main console via midi, ready for when the hog II crashed (which it does frequently from what I gather). When I worked on the show they were talking about putting a grandMa onto the show, for reliability. By the sounds of it that hasn't happened yet!

They must have a very badly-maintained Hog2, then - when treated properly, it's one of the most solid consoles I know in terms of reliability.

When they were with me, it crashed, so they got a replacement console in from stage electrics (in the meantime running of the PC), then if I recall, the replacement crashed too. I think they ended up butchering the two to make a working console - hence the talk of putting onto a grandMA. Don't know if it was software or hardware faults.

Don't know if it was software or hardware faults.

If you have two console become unreliable in the one show (or even one season), there is a very good chance that the way they have programmed it is either incorrect, or encounters a software bug. 2 hardware faults would be an extreme case of bad luck. I have been trying to kill our HogII for about as long as I have been at this venue, and it just won't die (which is unfortunate, as the touch screens are nearly illegible). This HogII has lived a harder life than most consoles - gets lugged around, outside of it's flightcase up and down stairs, bumps into things etc. The console is built to last.

Archived