Earth bonding ETC Source 4 back-ends & CE approval

Rob

I've just bought some used ETC source 4s which I've had PAT tested. I'm guessing they're originally ex PRG and might have been imported from the States. Half of them were failed on the basis that the back end was not earth-bonded to the main body.

Having spoken to the supplier, they believe that the earth bond on some of the units is actually a safety bond to prevent the rear end becoming detached or falling while the lamp is being changed - Nothing to do with electrical safety.

I've spoken to ETC's technical support dept about this and they reckon it is an earth bond which was added as part of the package of alterations to make the S4 CE compliant for the European market.

Given that the lens tube is obviously not earth-bonded, should the back end be?

I also noticed that a couple of the lens tubes only have one fixing point - the threaded hole / captive nut for the thumscrew, but not the usual hole on the opposite side for the screw and collar. Again, ETC reckon this was added as a safety feature to provide two points of attachment and meet the CE guidelines.

I'm interested to know whether second hand kit sold in the UK should be CE marked / approved or if it is only a manufacturers issue. The BSI website only mentions manufacturing and importing. I'm sure there's plenty of very old kit kicking around for sale which pre-dates CE marking...

I'm interested to know whether second hand kit sold in the UK should be CE marked / approved or if it is only a manufacturers issue.

CE marking is only required when the item is first placed on the market.

Given that the lens tube is obviously not earth-bonded, should the back end be?

Most important is to ensure that the earth wire from the power cable is properly connected to the lamp burner assembly.

As the burner is the core electrical part of the fixture this is essential.

Rgds

Erik Larsen

Market Manager

ETC Ltd.

Archived