Classic Palette help

lx bear

I've just started a new job at a school as Theatre manager (covering lighting, sound, maintenance.everything)

the lighting desk that I've got to work with is the Strand Classic Palette, I've never used and Strand desk before - always been ETC or Zero 88.

I have one simple problem, where on earth is the Grand Master???

I've gone in to the hardware set up and opted for the faders c/d to become master faders but for some reason they arent working, in fact I cant get the sliders to do anything other than being able to load states on to them, I think I should be able to choose to have a 2 scene A/B scenes but cant even get the thing to do that for me.

Am I missing something or are these desks really bad.

I've looked in the manual, on the help page but cannot get the desk to change its hardware options - although I can disable the DBO thats about it.

I asked a friend that knows Strand desks, for help, she downloaded the software on to her pc to look at and she couldnt even get it to do it.

Can anyone advice me what I am doing wrong and how to get the thing working properly.

thanks

Sarah

Not wanting to appear flippant and unhelpful but have a look at Strand Lighting UK and click on Support then Training. There are Classic Palette courses coming up in February, April and June.

Edit...

I've just booted up the software and pressing F3 then F9 took me to the Grand Master setup option. I don't have a physical desk so I can't tell you where the fader is, if there is one, but there is an option in the OLE...

Thanks for replying, the training would be useful, this problem is just irritating me now though.

I've gone through the hardware set up many times, but for some reason what ever I select doesnt seem to hold.

Am very confused.

Will keep playing around on it still.

I see your problem.

I have just walked into our workshop and there is a rather tired looking, just over a year old looking classic palette.

I have spent 5 mins with it and not found out the answer either. Now it may just be me of course but this is the first time I have spent looking at a Palette and I'm not impressed.

It appears that the Palette series (as opposed to the Light Palette Series) doesn't have a true Grandmaster, only a DBO button. You can set the sliders (either A/B or C/D) so the left one acts as a master, and the right is a crossfader (for that cue list) but thst's as close as you can get.

(I've got a Light Palette, so I hadn't caught that different until now.)

-Fred

I've put the OLE on lots of XP machines with no problems. Perhaps your problem is Vista B-) (I note that Strand only references XP in their release notes, so there certanly may be some incompatibilities with Vista)

-Fred

Thanks Josh, but unfortunately it appears nothing as straight-forward as a missing .dll file - I can cope with those thanks to my tech knowledge, but this was some b***cks about C++ and R6034 I think. And compatibility mode doesn't help either (surprise, surprise!) - think I'll give Strand a ring when I get a chance, but shut up now for risk of going too OT.

Jake

The way the console was explained to me is to go to hardware setup and under slider setup chose custom configuration. "This caused less problems with the console" I was told. If you wanted a grand master you would need to set up one of your look sliders with nothing in it and make that slider htp over the other sliders. This fix is used because the program was wrote for the marquee console and Strand stuck it in the Palette console. I talked with Strand yesterday and was told that update V 10 should be out by the end of the week and this update should fix alot of the problems. If you go to the Strand web site you can see the new screen shots of V 10, also referred to as Black and Tan, the layout looks more like the 500 series does. There is no physical grand master on the console and I am not sure if the new update will reconfigure any of the slider to be one.

Thanks guys, I've purposefully not been near the damn thing for a couple of days,

the problem I've been having is that I have been in the hardware set up page and tried to configure the sliders and a/b c/d to do some thing different, but for some reason they arent holding my options.

They always go back to slider a/b playback cues although I cant capture a cue to run it in real time. and c/d doing nothing. what ever configuration I choose it doesnt make any difference.

Even on the slider options I was trying to get the option a/b preset with 2 x 12 presets to uses a/b faders to x fade between them, but not even this would work.

Will have a go on it tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Will also check what version its running on too.

Just tried to do a hardware test and its not even doing anything there so there must be a problem, the manual says that if the console lights dont flash when doing the test, contact Strand :g:

I've tried the number on the website, but cant get through.

I cant find any paper work on who we bought the desk from or when either.

This is turning in to a pigging nightmare :P

I've just started a new job at a school as Theatre manager (covering lighting, sound, maintenance.everything)

I have one simple problem, where on earth is the Grand Master???

I've gone in to the hardware set up and opted for the faders c/d to become master faders but for some reason they arent working, in fact I cant get the sliders to do anything other than being able to load states on to them, I think I should be able to choose to have a 2 scene A/B scenes but cant even get the thing to do that for me.

Hi Sarah

Hopefully my post will be of some assistance.

The Classic Palette which you have in your school does not have a specific fader which solely operates as a grandmaster as you have found out. There are two ways for you to create one at this present moment in time. The first option has already having been helpfully pointed out by a fellow poster.

1. Go into the Hardware setup and set one of your playbacks to become PB Master + Crossfader

In this particular mode, the left hand fader is the intensity master of the cue list assigned to this playback. The right hand fader is, at will, a manual cross fader. The GO and HALT BACK buttons will operate as normal. You can find more details of this functionality in your manual which would have been sent with the desk on purchase. Page 50.

2. Version 10 software will be released Eastern Time AM ( 01.02.08), in this particular version of software you'll be able to change the behaviour of your submaster. You'll need to select all of your channels and record them into a look / submaster. The submaster behaviour then needs to be changed in the new looks page. This can be accessed by pressing on the look page tag at the top of the screen above the cue list stack.

When in this page change your submaster behaviour to inhibitive. Your submaster will now act as a grandmaster.

Am I missing something or are these desks really bad.

I would for obvious reasons disagree with you on this, :g: but I understand there are quite a few changes which you may not be used to. Any problems feel free to ring the office and as for Amber, or email me on amber.tomlin@strandlighting.com . I normally don't check the blueroom forum regularly as I'm on quite a few forums and time restraints, so it may be best to email me or add our facebook account.

Best thing I can advise for you is download the new version of software when its posted, you'll really see the difference!

Hopefully I'll hear from you soon.

All the best

Amber Tomlin

Archived