Hard hats and chin straps

timtheenchanteruk

I know any hard hats used at heights need straps, but want opinions on these.

would these hats used with these straps be OK, they are for use in a school by students, so cant justify the cost of the likes of petzl helmets as they end up being binned before their expiry, or nicked.

thanks in advance.

As ike says - helmets conforming to EN397 provide head protection from falling objects where as EN12492 ones with chin straps to stop hat coming off if it hits something when you fall. Although chin strap must fail before you can risk strangulation if you end up suspended from the helmet. So depend on what you want them for. One that conforms to both are more expensive. But not as expensive as an accident!

Amazing what I've learnt today reading 'an introduction to rigging"....!

Andi

Those hard hats and the chin straps are absolutely fine for your purpose. Even the cheaper 3 pound jobbie would do.

Have a look at the information leaflet you can download from the top of the page. The only problem I can see is that the helmets may be too big for younger students.

The caps will be fine when people are on a gantry or lighting bridge but wouldn't be suitable in situations where people should have a proper hard-hat.

A "Bump Cap" is purely to protect against banging your head on a static object - eg lantern, rigging bar or similar.

They are great for the guy(s) working at a height, as the caps tend to be lightweight and smaller.

If there is a danger of being hit by a falling object, then you need a proper hard hat as a bump cap doesn't give enough protection.

I think it depends upon the school's own regulations and insurance.

I know our school was looking into doing BTec courses, however the equipment required is a lot more advanced (and expensive) than anything we currently have; whilst doing the normal GCSE drama and music courses.

Although during school time students in my school aren't allowed to be at a 'working' height above 2m however after 3.15 they can if permission has been given by parents.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I was at school I wasn't allowed to use the tallescope till I was year 11 or 16 in my case being oldest in my year.

How can we correct you if you're wrong? You're talking about your own experiences, I doubt anybody here can disprove you.

Archived