Roboscan218s

simduv

Hi guys,

I recently acquired two roboscan 218s which were in need of some tlc, after replacing stepper motors and wheels, I rigged them into my existing rig , only to find one unit is significantly brigter than the other....they are both running the Philips msd 250w bulb.

To the naked eye, both bulbs appear to be running a comparable brightness, but the final output is noticably different.

Could there beanything elecrical causing a reduction in output that isnt noticably different by visual? ie detoriated ballast??

Chances are the lamps are a different age. As the lamp is run, the output slowly deteriorates. If youve "recently aquired" these, it could be the case. Try swapping the lamps between the two and see if the dull output follows the change.

It might also be worth cleaning the optics inside, the lens, the mirror et.al. One might have been stuck in storage for a while, especially if youve acquired them in a broken state, so it might be a bit mucky inside.

Chances are the lamps are a different age. As the lamp is run, the output slowly deteriorates. If youve "recently aquired" these, it could be the case. Try swapping the lamps between the two and see if the dull output follows the change.

It might also be worth cleaning the optics inside, the lens, the mirror et.al. One might have been stuck in storage for a while, especially if youve acquired them in a broken state, so it might be a bit mucky inside.

Thanks for the reply...I should have mentioned that both the bulbs are new and the optics have all been replaced with new parts.

I'm presuming you are aware that the 218's are designed for the MSD200, not the MSD250. Therefore, unless alterations have been made (particularly to the cooling system), chances are you are going to be running hot... Whilst this may or may not be the root of your current problem, it is worth bearing in mind for the future!

I had the same problem with my Pro518.

Check the heat filter which is just between the Gobo and color wheels and the bulb. One of mine had less lumininosity than the others, even with brand new bulb. After replacing the heat filter (original from Martin) it became as bright as the other.

I think that in the Pro218 is like the Pro518 and you can upgrate it to MSD250 just by changing the fan (contact also Martin they will give you the whole procedure and they will confirm if you can do it).

Archived