Casual Rate of Pay

Stu

A) It's £8.95 p/h for the first twelve shifts (probationary period) which then rises to around £10 p/h

A2) Weekly in arrears

B) Set up staging, move chairs, music stands, instruments. Load/unload trucks, set, etc.

C) Yes - see A). There is also a higher rate for Crew Chiefs, not sure what it is.

D) It's certainly better than any other crewing job I've had, I'm fed, and I'd much rather do this than work in a bar.

E&F) As far as I'm aware, there is no overtime, or a special rate for get outs. Minimum 3 hour call, and if your shift starts between 0000-0700, you get a night rate for the entire shift (I believe around £13 p/h)

Chris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A) £6.50 p/h.....(4 hour minimum)

A2) Monthly...based on 4 week month.

B) Staging, seating, drapes, house lights/PA, load in's/out, spots

B2) Same as above but sometimes with extras

C) 'trial' shifts @ £6.00 p/h, 'team member' @ £6.50 p/h., 'team leader' @ £7.00 p/h

D) Not really

E) No

F) No

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd restart a thread from many years ago, comparing casual pay scales throughout the industry.

So, just out of interest,

A) How much do you get paid as a Casual / How much does your venue pay Casuals?

B) What is expected of you?

C) Where in the industry do you work?

D) What part of the country do you work?

D) Is there a tiered system for Newbies, Basic Skills, Well Skilled etc?

Cheers

My answers are,

A) £7.22 ph

B) All stage/lx/sound duties, getin, fitup, maintenance, showcalls, getouts. You name it we'll do it.

C) Regional Recieving House

D) Glasgow

D) No

Moderation: This post was a new topic, so for neatness, merged with the older one

• 2 weeks later...

A) £5.93 3.5 HR min call

B) anything from acting chief lx to sm, sound op lx op follow spots general crew

C) regional theatre

D) south east

E) no management don't care who they employ, or weather they are any good.

A) One venue @ £7.03 an hour, second venue at £6.83 an hour

B) First venue is unloading trucks and doing what the touring crew says! Second venue is more in house stuff, hopefully rising to running lx or monitors for gig nights and stuff.

C) Venue one is a Council run receiving house for theatre, live music and conferences. Venue two has got three venues, one gig/club venue, a theatre and a black box/reheresal room.

D) Cambridgeshire

E) Venue one, No. Venue two yes, four different rates. Rate A (Trainee), Rate B (Competent tech but who doesnt know where stuff is), Rate C (Trained tech who knows where stuff is), Rate D (Duty tech or night shifts).

In response to the earlier questions:

A) How much do you get paid as a Casual? As a casual by a London venue: £10 p/h weekdays/saturdays, £20 p/h overnight, sundays & BH. In a theatre in far away Wales, £6.90ish p/h (I've never been told exactly how much per hour it is), and £38 p/h get out.

A2) How often do you get paid, weekly/monthly/month in arrears? Depends when I work. London venue, usually the same week as I work. Welsh venue, every 12th of the month when I have done some work for them.

B) What are you expected to do for the cash? In London, rig and patch, sometimes focus and tech LX. In Wales, anything from followspot, LX/set rig, LX/Sound OP, get ins/outs, ASMing.

B2) What do you actually do for the cash? The above, unless I cannot physically do it, in which case I state this and either find someone to assist me, or let an in-house technician know whilst I get on with something else.

C) Is there a tiered system for New starters, Basic Skills, Well Skilled etc? In London, no. In Wales, not as far as I'm aware.

D) Do you think it's a fair wage for what you do? Absolutely

E) Do you get paid overtime and if so under what conditions (after a given number of hours / before or after certain times)? Not as far as I'm aware in either venue. I get paid the same rate from the moment I arrive til the moment I leave, I'm booked for certain hours and if it goes over that amount of time then I'm still on the same hourly rate, and get paid til the work's done/we have to stop.

F) Do you get paid a special rate for get-outs? (TMA / automatic overtime / OT after a certain time) In London, no. In Wales, yes, see above.

In response to the later additional questions

C) Where in the industry do you work? In Theatre in London. In an Arts Centre in Wales which sees both theatre in it's theatre (surprising that!) - where I'll be doing get ins/outs, lighting rig/op, set, ASMing, sound and so on, and anything from comedy to band nights to orchestras in it's 'Great Hall' where I'll do anything from rig/op lx, op sound, do band get-ins, SMing and so on.

As an aside I pay all of my marquee chaps a minimum of £7 p.h. with another £0.50p every year they come back.

The work is, essentially, unskilled but common sense and good manners count for a lot hence we pay above NMW.

A chap up the road pays NMW and he gets what he pays for, I enjoy receiving feedback about how polite, efficient and friendly my team was!

Bectu/TMA agreement for pay & I'm on LX team, so :-

A)Grade 3 (skilled worker)- £6.50ph ish with pay increase getting voted on soon. We have a minimum 4hr call but can then be followed by a 2hr call for example, as long as its equal to or more than 4 hrs.

B1)Get In including rigging, focus, occasionally plotting and shows (4.5hr call) then Get Out's at higher rates mentioned below.

B2)Everything lx wise, maintainence etc.

C)Yes, in accordance with agreement, grade 4 is work ex and new starters (this is never used in this particular venu however), Grade 3 is skilled workers (all casuals), Grade 2 is line managers, SM, ASM, Chief LX, Dep. LX and Grade 1 is Senior Management.

D)Over a week it equals out as you'll see.

E)Yes, Double time on Sundays and outside of 11pm-8am (exc. Get outs), time and a half on anything over 9hrs a day and 39hrs single time in a week. Also get meal allowance on a 10hr day and overnight infringement if do not get 11hr break (again exc. Get out). Get paid fee for wearing Blacks too when on stage.

F) Bectu/TMA so £119 ish for first 3 hrs then just shy of £40ph following that.

Also work in education on a rolling contract as performing arts tech at a college where I'm on set hourly rate of £10.50 no matter what I do.

Hope this helps.

Archived