Casual Rate of Pay

Stu

From a small theatre's viewpoint:

A: £9 per hour

B: As required - general venue tehnician work - if you're lucky, unload estate car, take houselights down, bring them back up, load car. If less fortunate, unload big van, focus, plot, op, load big van. Same rate for most other casual work (eg helping our touring company at an awkward get-in.

B2: As above.

C: some mundane work paid at a lower rate, but the type of work decides the rate, not status of employee (If I hire a student to do a technician's job, theiy get what any other techniain would get).

D: yes

E: no. Maybe in extreme circumstances, but the basic rate seems pretty healthy.

F:no.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Venue I worked at till recently

A) 5.15ph

B1&2)Anything full timers do, with a bit less responsibility

C)Sometimes the top casual was paid a supervisors rate, or if they were working at the studio theatre as the only person representing the venue (£7ish)

D)Sometimes it is, other times it was hard to justify

E)Casuals got paid flat rate for the hours they worked, full timers didn't get overtime unless they completed 12 hours of it. Overnighters were done on the basis of a minimum call of 12 hours, equating to double pay if you were quick. Another Bizarre one, if the event finished after midnight, you were paid an extra 50p per hour for the whole shift. the weird bit was that if the event finished before 12 but you were still working after that, you got the lower rate, even though you could still be doing the same hours. Does anyone know of any venues that operate a similar scheme??

F)No Get-out rates, other than those above

at the venue I work at:

a) the rates work out as £6.40 an hour for daytime work, £10 an hour for get in/outs, and £20 for shows

b) I'm expected to help with unloading/loading wagons, helping any of the touring/local professional crew, and with my preference towards the world of LX I'm usually asked to work on the lx side of things (rigging, focusing, desk monkeying (is this a recongised verb?!) )

b2) usually doing most of the LX stuff

c) because theres quite a small casual crew we all tend to be of a same status equality wise, but people like me on the crew who want to do it as a career we tend to get jobs that will aid our experience rather than just lifting and shifting, which is nice ** laughs out loud **

d) yup, damn happy to be actually getting paid! ;)

e) not that I know of

f) as far as I know its £10 an hour for the outs

As I am only 15 I get £20 a day. 9am-6/7pm. Jobs including patching, rigging, colour call, loading/unloading trucks and a few other basic jobs.

Are you sure that you are legally employed? My Local Authorities forbids the employment (paid or volunteer)of people under official school leaving age in theatre, although curiously they allow Yr 10 to do work experience.

As I am only 15 I get £20 a day. 9am-6/7pm. Jobs including patching, rigging, colour call, loading/unloading trucks and a few other basic jobs.

Wanabe, you could very soon be paid more than that

I have just been watching the news and the government are today revealing their plans for a mimimum wage for those in the 16-18 age bracket. Currently unless you are over 18 there is no leagal minimum wage however they are estamaiting its going to be over £3.00. I'm not sure how quickly they are implementing it however when it is put in place it will be llegal requirement for anyone employing 16-18 year olds to pay at least this wage.

For more info it is probably on the BBC Website in the news section!

Sam

a) about £5.60 ph

b) Shift, carry, fit-up, crew shows, hemp fly, tabs, follow-spot, simple board opping, simple sound opping (recorded stuff only - not live), suffer fools gladly, throw away other people's rubbish... ;)

c) No, but the more experienced and more willing folk (not the same thing!) tend to get the work.

d) Yes.

e) Crew get nowt extra unless its Sunday or bank hols. They will get as bit more bunce if depping for longer-term absence of full-time staff. Some local amdrams pay cash in hand, so crew get to follow their consciences re income tax.

f) TMA for any show demanding a guarantee: outfits that hire the building (ie dancing schools etc) get touched for half a TMA per person since they tend only to use our drapes, rostra etc. Oddly enough it still needs taking down, humping about and putting away at night after the last show! Its a bit of a fudge to find a level between what the crew should get and what the hirer will pay without squealing like a stuck pig.

• 7 months later...

4.60 hour,

we do get some TMA out ,

heavy rock & roll gigs £50 for the first truck (30 + footers) and a tenner for any thing after that.

So on a 3 truck rock out you could be there for 4/5 hours working your bull**ks off for £70 before tax.

If it deemed not heavy you could do the same nights work for £18.40

Anything and everything as/more than full time tech as fulltimers are limited to working hours casual's are not !

Have BECTU on the case now so may get sorted soon.

Chris

http://kick-butt.co.uk

Unless you are full time employed ie if you are casual... the national minimum wage does not apply.
Not according to the DTI, I quote from Paragraph 10, Page 17.

10. Most adult workers in the United Kingdom must be paid

at least the national minimum wage. If you have a contract of

employment you are a worker. Even if you do not have a

contract of employment, you are a worker if you are doing

work personally for someone else (under a “worker’s” contract)

and you are not genuinely self-employed.The contract does not

need to be written; it may be an implied contract or an oral

contract. People such as home workers, agency workers, casual

labourers, part-time workers and workers on short-term

contracts are all entitled to the national minimum wage. It does

not matter how a worker is paid – by the month, week, day,

session, hour or some other way.

Stu

Guest lightnix
A) How much do you get paid as a Casual / How much does your venue pay Casuals?
£185 for a 10 hour, 8am - 6pm day. Free secure parking available.

B1) What are you/they expected to do for the cash?
Rig, focus & operate lights, muck in to build sets, hang logos, look tidy and work as part of "the team".

B2) What you actually do for the cash?
As per B1 and buy the occasional round.

C) Is there a tiered system for Newbies, Basic Skills, Well Skilled etc?
Production Managers get an extra £20 per day, otherwise no.

D) Do you think it's a fair wage for what you do?
Yes. The client also pays bang on time <_<

E) Do you get paid overtime and if so under what conditions (after a given number of hours / before or after certain times)?
£16 per hour after 6pm / 10 hours. £200 Sunday rate with overtime at £20 per hour. Extra £15 travel allowance for calls at 7am or earlier, another extra £15 travel allowance for calls after 11pm. Breakfast / sarneys provided before 7am / after 8pm.

F) Do you get paid a special rate for get-outs? (TMA / automatic overtime / OT after a certain time)
No.

It's not a theatre, by the way ;)

Exemptions

The minimum wage is not applicable to certain groups, including:

the self-employed

voluntary workers

workers who are based permanently outside the UK, in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man

taken from

Business link explanation of the DTI documentation.

The NMW does not apply to all workers. The 4 groups you identify are examples of those to who it does apply. There are exceptions as mentioned above. After identifying the groups you mention the DTI documentation goes on to clarify the exemtions.

I think you'd be very hard-pushed to put any casual venue employee into one of the exempt categories.

If they handle their own tax & NIC etc theyre in the club, Casual to me means those who are not on a contract but are called in as & when required & are essentially self employed - again that would place them in the exempted categories I would have thought. I may not be using the same definition of casual as you though I suppose.

Archived