More new desk info please

v8dve

I have used both of these consoles recently although the sapphire was not the one from AC.

The sapphire is by far the better console when comparing a new one against the frog, but an old 96 rollacue is probably going to need a major service and many new parts.

The frog is ok for small generic rigs or corporates with set looks for moving lights, but it is just not in the same league as the Avo.

My advice is to try them both first. AC should be able to connect them to a small Wyg lighting rig of the kind of stuff you do to let you see for yourself.

If you mainly use only generics then you may do well to buy a console that copes with 90% of your work and then hire in a bigger desk when you use it.

Alternatively an Avo pearl is another option although you are unlikely to find one for less than £3K but you would get all the moving light control and a good generic platform in something not the size of a table.

I have used  both of these consoles recently although the sapphire was not the one from AC.

The sapphire is by far the better console when comparing a new one against the frog, but an old 96 rollacue is probably going to need a major service and many new parts.

So am I right in thinking that the old Sapphire 96 is effectively a beefed-up Pearl with more handles? I know it's a very different beast to the Sapphire 2000 (which, although I'm not an Avo user, gave me the impression of being a really nice desk on the odd occassions I've got my hands on one), but I've never used an older Sapphire so I don't really know what they can/can't do ...

• 3 weeks later...

The sapphire 96 is, to all intents and purposes, a befed up pearl 96, it has a few nicer features, the faders are a personal favourite of mine.

The sapphire 2000 is also a lovely bit of kit, as you say though comparing it to a frog is a bit like comparing a BMW to a 206GTI, they both have there merits and negative points. no offence to any z88 people who are on the list, but in my opinion, the consoles were designed for different markets, the way I see it, one is happy controling x-ammount of movers all day long and the other is a good generic desk with the ability to do movers when required.

If you talk to AC, they will probably let you demo the desks for free, if not then they may only charge you for the hire of the one you don't buy, they've always been a resonable company to me!!

Archived