choir trouble

crox

I have had a good search and there is not really an answer that I can find to this one!

We have a choir of about 7 - 15 people, depending on the Sunday morning.

They are in three rows normally, quite closely bunched together, at the moment, standing next to drums with a screen.

What is the best way of mic'g them up without taking up a lot of channels and spending a lot of money (looking for off the shelf solution)?

Condensors picking up at distance will be a bad idea in this instance due to the proximity to the drums. Even with a screen there will be a lot of bleed into the mics. Realistically, unless you can put the choir in a more isolated area a handheld mic each is the best option here.

Steve

If you remember, the OP said:

standing next to drums with a screen.

If this is the case, and the drums are played softly in a 'soundproof' drum cage then you shouldn't get any serious issues. Even with the drums uncaged the mics recommended aren't exactly omni, and with the placement described above I've had a lot of success, admittedly with a much larger choir, but with an almost identical layout.

Matt

I'm with Matt, but ONLY if both the drum sound AND the building acoustics are under control. Previous bitter experience tells me that mic'ing a choir next to a drumkit in a very lively venue only adds to the mush in the building, while adding a small amount of choir...

You can get a good idea of what a mic will pick up by in this position by getting something (safe) to stand on & putting your ear there!

If drums are the loudest thing you will probably have problems. If you're hearing the choir clearly then a directional condenser mic will probably do the job.

The pick up patten of your ear + the way your brain "processes" the signal is complicated, but this should give you a starting point.

Groups of 3 equally spaced round the front & sides of a cardiod mic, have used Sm58's in the past or a condensor like AKG 451 or Blue line CK391 (CK91 capsule) this should give adequate results. Uses a few channels but not as many as 1 per person. Overheads will pick up more ambient sound form the drums etc as all ready mentioned.

Good luck

Andi

Archived