Gallery lighting

Sarah

Hi All,

Slightly off of the theatre lighting route, I am currently researching lighting for a small art exhibition space in our foyer. I wondered if anyone had any helpful tips to point me in the right direction. I have found various fitting that attach to the wall, but we have a regular turnaround on exhibitions so we need something more flexible. We currently have a track, but the light fittings for it broke and are not available any more! Has anyone got experience of a system/fittings by a particular manufacturer that they think is good? Or any other advice?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sarah

I think a track system is probably the way forward - you can use as many or as few lights as you need, in the positions that you need, depending on the quantity, size and position of the artworks on display at any one time. We have track systems in the three small galleries that we have in our building, though they're quite old and a bit tired and there's almost certainly something better available these days.

Track as Gareth says is very flexible.

For the luminaires, consider something that will take a filter of some description; you may need to use ND or some kind of UV filter for artwork. MR16 fittings are good in that the lamps come in a variety of beam angles and wattages. You may want to get a few wall-mount type fittings to fill in those places the track will not reach - Ikea is often a source.

KC

In do a lot of art lighting, I use mr 16 low voltage lights to give good colour rendition and most important light at 45 degrees, too flat and you get glare, too steep and the texture of the canvas and paint is too obvious.

Archived