Do I need a crossover?

Jambo_UK

This is just a really quick question to ask all of yours advice.

I'm about to use two stacks of three active speakers the specs below I was going to use an active 3 way stereo crossover but looking at the frequencies I'm wondering is it worth it?

Top Full Range 400w (300w+100w) - 50Hz-18kHz

Top Full Range 400w (300w+100w) - 35Hz-20kHz

Low Sub Woofer (500w) - 35Hz-250Hz

My question is, Is it worth using a crossover?

As from what I can see if I run it in two way stereo (Low/High) then I will lose the low in the middle speaker or I will under use the sub by using a crossover.

Thanks for the help

PS. I don't know the brand of the powered speakers as they have no markings on them, Sorry will have a hunt through their records then I’m next on site and see if I can get it.

The tops are very similar spec, so probably I'd consider a simple two way crossover to split the subs from the tops. They extra bottom on one of your tops probably isn't worth worrying about - after all, it may have an output at 35Hz, but what 'kind' of output?

So run it in two way stereo and then put the two tops on the High Output and the Subs on the Low. I'm guessing on those specs I should Low cut he sub at around 200Hz or is it a case of playing with it and listening till it sounds good?

Sorry for all the question this is my first time at using a crossover.

Thanks for the quick reply your a legend.

EDit: For spelling, I awful.

It's hard to say without more detail, as it's not just the frequency response but, at what point and rate frequency response starts to roll off.

But I'd probably just use the trial and error route, as long as you stay within the realms of normality.

M

Archived