Lighting Director, What Qualifications?

Perhaps Brian or James could clarify.

I hope that's an invitation to post what I hope isn't a commercial post.

Anyway as others have said there is no guaranteed way of getting into lighting design. My advice is to get out - meet as many people as possible - get seen and get seen to be seen. Get your work seen (through amdram, local community theatre, churches etc...) and let it speak for itself.

In the BBC there is a concept called producer choice. Which basicaly means that. A producer has free reign over her production. If she wants you to light it then that's it.

The OP asked about training (potentialy commercial post here)

The company who owns the company I work for has a department that offers training in TV lighting

TV Studio Lighting 1(£1637)(5 days)

TV Studio Lighting 2(£1683) (5 days)

Location Lighting 1(£1706)(5 days)

Location Lighting 2(£1762)(5 days)

These courses are open to anyone - there are some prerequisites (eg do 1 before 2) and get attended by people from all over the industry. (BBC SKY ITV etc...)

I don't know anyone else that offers this level of training in TV lighting. You have an entire full uptodate broadcast TV studio to play with.

James

Archived