Brick Effect

Burrelly

I am looking for brick effect like in the following picture:

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/seasonal/halloween/06-premier-prop/20287-rotten-coffin.jpg

Does any one know where I can get sheets if display board like this?

Cheers

We had some vacuum formed plastic brick sheets for a production of Oliver in Luton. Unfortunately I don't know who provided them.

Half of the effect is lighting too, to get the bricks to look 3D you need to light them at several angles. Light them from a flat angle and they'll look flat.

Moderation: Off Topic

Is there any theatrical supplies you can't get in Luton?

We had some vacuum formed plastic brick sheets for a production of Oliver in Luton. Unfortunately I don't know who provided them.

Given the location of the supplier in my post I can hazard a guess....

You can quickly and easily build up a convincing brickwork effect by printing using a sponge.

First paint the surface in the colour and texture of the mortar. (Paint and spatter).

Then make up "stamps" out of suitably sized sponges (synthetic car washing types are fine). Carve the printing surface to give the uneven effect of brickwork and it helps if you glue the sponge down to a piece of 4mm ply to make it easier to handle. You can speed up the process by mounting several sponge "bricks" on a single strip of ply.

Mix up a few batches of paint in slightly different colours then apply to the surface in courses using the sponge "stamps" - varying the colour at random and leaving mortar joints between courses and individual bricks.

When dry rag over with some "dirty" paint, rag in areas of mould etc ad lib and you're done.

Once you get started it's quick and easy, but each area usually needs to be printed by a single person - otherwise you are likely to finish up with an obvious change in style.

David

I have recently created a brick wall for a production of beggars opera that we set in a 50s/60s jazz club sort of thing. To create the walls we cut up polystyrene tiles (like the proper ceiling ones but cheaper) We then stuck them down and painted over, it looked really effective and gave a great 3d effect. I would really recommend it. I will try and find some pictures Jon

it needs to have a slight 3d effect as it is for photographic work rather than on stage.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :)

As it is for photographic work and not stage use then follow Twiggy's suggestion.

Painted polystyrene can give a realistic effect.

If you had said it was for photographic work, which often only needs a small 'backdrop' then a full stage sets and fire retardantsy is not a problem, then might have had a different answer sooner. :)

Cheers

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

I've dug around and found a picture of the vac-formed brick sheet used on the production I was working on, more can be found at www.standrewsplayersluton.com/Gallery_Oliver.php

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/bangadrum/misc/10.jpg

It came plasticy grey, and was painted with several coats, and I believe it had some texture effects painted on to add to the the effect.

Archived