NJD Quartet power connections

karl

I am contemplating buying a couple of NJD Quartets. According to all the sites that sell them and the manual I downloaded from NJD's website they have a 7 pin elvcon connector. I can find no mention of what, if any, lead they come with.

My aim is to run each unit from four 15A sockets fed by dimmers but I can't seem to find anywhere that supplies a lead to do this. You can buy the requisite 7 pin connectors but I'm not sure how you would go about connecting this to the 15A plugs. The 7 pins in the elvcon connector consist of 4 lives (one per lamp), 2 neutrals and an earth. Four leads into one connector isn't going to be a good idea so I guess some sort of junction box or something would be in order.

I was wondering whether anybody else had done something similar or had any ideas/advice on the best course of action. All suggestions gratefully received.

I cant recommend this approach at all professionally as unplugging one or more plugs out of your dimmer pack will leave the plug pins either live or with exposed neutrals, this is due to the way the Quartet cooling fans work, which is by taking power off any energised channel. They're really meant to be used with the dedicated quartet controller or with an elvcon to bulgin light chaser connector.

Bother, I guess it's back to the drawing board then!

Don't suppose by any chance that anybody knows of a compact 3 or 4 colour flood unit that doesn't use onboard DMX and can be plugged into standard dimmers?

Theatre dimmers are ideally for individual luminaires, and compact all-in-ones generally have combined power leads! Maybe something like an Acme Cabaret Colour, carefully and thoughtfully internally rewired for four IEC inlets or similar would do. You'd have to provide a fifth inlet for the cooling fans.

http://www.soundmastersdirect.co.uk/images/thumbs/t_acmcabpro.jpg

• 1 year later...
any ideas/advice on the best course of action. All suggestions gratefully received.

How about getting a small single phase four channel dimmer like the stagetec multidim and add the quartets propriety wired connector to its case wired internally to the relevant points.

that way you don't need to rewire the quartet, make up any dodgy leads and can keep the wiring neat by keeping the dimer with the light

it goes with out saying if you are not confident doing this...DON'T

Archived