Does the JBL JRX112M need a amp

Noise Boy Sam

Quick Google brings up JBL's own page for it, http://www.jblpro.com/JRX/JRX112.htm. The inclusion of a Speakon socket and description of an 8 ohm nominal impedance imply that it does need an external amplifier. There's a link at the top with the full specification, I've forgotten the difference between Active & Passive and need to read that thread again...

It's passive and unpowered, meaning it requires an amp, but there is a passive crossover network within it so you do not need an active crossover to split between the lf and hf drivers.Rob
what amp would you reckon would be fine for two of these monitors?

Depending on your (and others :o ) self control 250w/8R 350 w/4R (for pairs) per channel is a good rating, and what I use - 200w if risking it...  

However, I caution: while they have tweeter protection (bulbs providing a form of resistive compression) I have recently changed 3 motors at €120 a piece + labour, not a joke to a church whose youth have been a tad enthusiastic in their praise. (one of the X-overs was on the point of catching fire :unsure:  ).

The Speakon+jack arrangement can be a pain (jack to female Speakon does it exist!)... It is just possible with care, patience and appropriate tools to replace the jack with a second Speakon.

JBL deliberately avoid indicating amp. ratings or use American Peak Power i.e.1kW or +/- 4 times the RMS rating. 

PS anybody know of "suitable" substitute for the 2412H-1 motor - seems to be 1 1/4"?

Quick Google brings up JBL's own page for it, http://www.jblpro.com/JRX/JRX112.htm. The inclusion of a Speakon socket and description of an 8 ohm nominal impedance imply that it does need an external amplifier. There's a link at the top with the full specification, I've forgotten the difference between Active & Passive and need to read that thread again...

On the seventh line after specifications (on the page you linked to):

Recommended Amplifier Power: 250 watts to 500 watts into 8 ohms

Archived