RJ45 panel mount connector with screw terminals, Ethercon or similar

peternewman

Hi all,

For a project I'm working on, I need a panel mount RJ45 connector but with screw terminals rather than solder which are not really suitable for where its being fitted or IDC which have proved to be unreliable in the past. I could have sworn I'd seen an Ethercon with screw terminals on the back, but of course it doesn't seem to exist now, so does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

...or IDC which have proved to be unreliable in the past. ...

If your IDC connections are unreliable then you're doing them wrong. The POTS network has billions of IDC connections with a very low failure rate as do lots of broadcast installations.

I don't know if its the fact its cheap connectors or the cable, but some I was using recently I just gave up with. We've got one of the magic tools but still no real luck. The other challenge is its solid cable and they have to be connected and then put into place, whereas AFAIK most of the broadcast and POTS stuff is done onto a static frame from the front.

I don't know if its the fact its cheap connectors or the cable, but some I was using recently I just gave up with. We've got one of the magic tools but still no real luck. The other challenge is its solid cable and they have to be connected and then put into place, whereas AFAIK most of the broadcast and POTS stuff is done onto a static frame from the front.

Something funny is going on then. I've worked on installations with many hundreds of RJ45 panels (flood cabling for phone and data) all done with IDC and don't remember ever having a failure with a properly punched in connection. I'd trust IDC over screw terminals any day...and probably over solder as well unless I knew the wireman well.

...and this is before factoring in costs; if you have to pay the person wiring...on a big install IDC can save many man days.

Bob

Archived